Help us improve Clozemaster! What would you most like to see added, changed, or improved?

I wish there was a way to click on any Cantonese word/character in the sentence to look up the definition, not just the missing word.

EDIT: This is in reference to the mobile app. I see on web it does let you click on other words, but they aren’t individual characters. Instead it will usually take multiple characters/words at once instead of allowing you to click on and look up the definition of an individual character.

1 Like

Also when you click on a word for translation, I feel like it should jump down to the language you are studying instead of having to scroll all the way down the page to get to the definition. In particular, for characters used in multiple languages (e.g. Japanese, Korean, and Chinese), you may have to scroll past other languages which takes even longer.

With Wiktionary you can directly jump to the language by adding the language to the end of the url. For example, 咱 - Wiktionary

So if the user is studying Chinese, you can add the #Chinese to the end. If for some reason the language is not on the Wiktionary page, it shouldn’t break anything as it will just load the Wiktionary page as usual but without jumping to the language section.

1 Like

Hi @szei and welcome!

When using the Wiktionary popover or sidebar, for the languages that I study when the page is loaded it does jump directly to the correct language (as per your suggestion).

I’ve just tried starting the Mandarin course, and I can see that it is attempting to load the page (in this case for 所以 [suǒyǐ]) using “#Mandarin Chinese” instead of ‘’#Chinese" i.e. it’s trying to load the page at the correct point, but unfortunately it is using the wrong label.

Therefore, this looks like it is actually a “bug”, so if you repost this comment in the Bug Reports category then hopefully it should get fixed quite quickly (N.B. the Clozemaster admins should be reading this particular “Help us improve Clozemaster!” thread, but submitting as a bug report would probably be cleaner). They probably just need to do a simple mapping of the Clozemaster names of course target languages to the names as used on Wiktionary.

5 Likes

Ah, thank you for that. I will submit a bug report. I was using the mobile app so I couldn’t see that they were already trying to redirect the url.

3 Likes

I’d love to be able to add sentences from the iOS app instead of having to log in to the web interface.

2 Likes

Probably I am mostly reiterating suggestions, but anyway …:

• Fix the problem that the sex of the speakers does not correspond to the grammar. I know it is a hard nut to crack but if you want to automate your language use, it is more than annoying.
  • End the beta for Listening. Give points for it. Add a spelling help. It is frustrating, when after the 5th run, I finally understand the cloze but then I am punished for a spelling mistake. Adjust all the listening clozes to the same volume. I undertand that background noises, dialect and so on are all part of the game and I appreciate it. But I have to adjust the volume very often and I do not think that this is helpful.

• Add a category “marked as known” to all statistics. I consider “marked as known” as a better measurement for my progress as “mastered”. That should be easy.

Otherwise, I really enjoy using Clozemaster and for me it is a very good tool because I can learn by repeating like a child. Thank you!

6 Likes

Replacing the TTS with AI generated audio would be a great idea. AI generated audio is far superior to the TTS models used now.

1 Like

As long as we don’t lose Giorgio e Carla. Giorgio’s voice is particularly special! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t say I recognize them by name :wink: I tried to find one for each target language that was bearable, but gave up pretty quickly.

1 Like

Italian from English is where they are. I’ve been listening to them for years now, from Duolingo to here, rather fond of both.

1 Like

I don’t know if there’s already a way to do this, but if so it isn’t obvious: sometimes when going through Clozemaster fast I accidentally answer incorrectly (like by pressing 2 and then space when I meant to press 1 and then space). I wish there were a way to take back a mistake, like undo an incorrect answer that I only got incorrect because I pressed the wrong button (sometimes called “fat fingering” in gaming) even though I knew the correct answer.

3 Likes

you can adjust the progress manually e.g. if you were at 50% and accidentally put the wrong answer, you can press the edit button and set it to 75% after answering correctly. You’ll get the same time spacing as you would have if you answered correctly the first time around (but you won’t get full points)

1 Like

I’d actually like to see Latin and Ancient Greek collections, as it would help my kids for their schoolwork - they’re part of their course load in high school here in the Netherlands. Clozemaster has done a pretty good job for my son as it turned out to be a good way for him to study words in German and French where he was struggling before.

2 Likes

That’s true but the thing is sometimes I am doing them too fast and don’t remember what it originally was. I don’t know if it was at 25%, 50%, or 75%, so I’m not sure what to return it to. An “undo last answer” wouldn’t require me to remember what percent it was at before I pressed the wrong button, it’d be far less work.

1 Like

I just noticed that you guys implemented my (and others’) suggested option for a custom URL and would like to quickly express my gratitude. You guys are some of the most responsive and hardworking individuals in the field.

7 Likes

Excellent! I had been hoping that the custom URL feature would be added, but I hadn’t noticed that it had been!

4 Likes

I like how in Japanese there’s a button to have ChatGPT explain the sentence, and it’s been very useful, so I was wondering if this feature will be added to other languages, specifically Cantonese?

I copied a sentence into ChatGPT and had it explain it to me, and it did just like it does for Japanese.

3 Likes

Hi, I use multiple public collections and some sets are in more than one collection.
I would like to have the possibility that when I have learned a sentence in one collection, it is also marked as learned in the other collection.

3 Likes

Hi, wizardry magical Clozemaster Team!
I got full throttle at Fast Track Listening path, Transcribe mode, and I noticed it provide many easeness’. It gets red when typing a wrong letter, there are tracks revealing the number and length of words - even of letters on Dark Mode! These traits are there even if turning them off at the options gear.
It has been very easy to run this track with so many “postsigns” helping out, so that I fear not to be learning that much…
Could you make the changes necessary to turn off those features? Thank you in advance!

1 Like

What would it take to pair a royalty-free/public domain image with each vocab word (maybe not for all, but for example, the first 1000 frequency words).

If the data source exists, you could possibly pair word/image the same way you pair languages.

I’m reading Gabriel Wyner’s book Fluent Forever, which so far I really like. He makes the point that language should be acquired, and not “translated”. And that our brains are wired to absorb images and link them to words much better than just linking one word to another.

For that reason I was glad to find I could turn off the translation in Listening Mode, so I could simply take in the audio and produce the text without having the translation in front of me as a crutch.

Now I wonder if the next level could be pairing audio with an image, and producing text in response, so you get all kinds of synergies creating synaptic links.

3 Likes