Streak saves not working

After around 90 days I missed a day for the first time last Friday, and initially it looked like the streak saves worked for all of the languages but one.

However, since last Friday, the other languages except one (Norwegian, now 92 days) retroactively un-streaked, counting from the day I missed, and now only show 6 days instead of 90+.

For some of them it seemed that this happened when I synced the Android app, as I use both the website and app regularly.

Anyone else experienced this? Considering I had around 9 streak saves in the various languages at the time, it’s a really strange bug.

Yes. For instance, in Italiano/Francais, I had a 38 day streak and 7 total streak saves. I missed yesterday, the streak reverted to 1 while the streak save total was the same (7.) This also happened with another language pairing.

1 Like

hey there!

thanks for reporting the issue

a fix for this was deployed today - you should now be able to see an accurate streak number + not have any issues going forwards with syncing between devices!

feel free to let me know if anything isn’t working as expected and I can look into it again :male_detective:

Hi alexcyphus,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on my end. Both the website and the app still assume that the streak has been lost and the total count is from 14 days ago, when I missed a day.

This is still happening. I have 2 streak saves and a zero streak.

Yeah I now have a 0 streak with 15 streak saves for French.

Hey!

I think the issue is that streak saves only cover a one day gap. Meaning that even if you have 100 streak saves but miss two days your streak will be lost.

I’m curious what you think about streak saves only applying to single day gaps - this is the way it works in other apps (Duolingo, Snapchat, etc) but can definitely see how it’s confusing + unexpected to lose a streak with streak saves. It’s something we can consider changing in the future.

Sorry about the confusion this has caused! If you want your streak restored can you please reach out to support@clozemaster.com with your username + what you want your streak set to + for which language and we will get it set. Thanks!

I’ll start by noting that I do not use streaks, in fact I often go out of my way to not use apps for a while so that I can deliberately lose streaks and then stay away long enough that I don’t get “rescued” by streak saves/shields.

However, I appreciate that some other people in this community find them to be a great motivator, so here are some examples of other apps where streak saves are not just applied to a single day.

Two examples of apps that allow for multiple streak saves (shields) are -

  1. Lingodeer - this allows up to 2 streak shields. It also has a feature called “streak repair” where I believe that you can use a virtual currency called gems to fill in a gap to connect two streaks.
  2. Drops - people with a Pro subscription can have up to 4 consecutive streak shields (provided that you have earned 4 streak shields by completing the appropriate number of days).

Note that for both of those apps the streaks and shields apply to the usage of the app as a whole i.e. they do not have language-specific streaks.

1 Like

@alexcyphus

This is not how Duolingo works. I see how it might appear that way when you first start a streak, because (if I recall) you only get a single save “slot” to start. But, you can skip consecutive days for as many streak saves as you can collect, which is most certainly >1. That is why they have a cap on the number of streak save “slots” you get, which is only two, and so you must log in at least every two days. However, there are also bonus streak saves, which can stack up, although they disappear and can’t be instantly “recharged.” Yes, it’s a needlessly complex system (I’m sure it’s explained in detail in one of their blog posts, if you’re really interested), but if Duo says I have three freezes, it does mean I can take three consecutive days off. However, it takes quite a long time to collect three freezes.

So the behavior here on CM is not like Duolingo and, to me (and others, apparently), it is unintuitive. Additionally, the guide text when you click on the streak save icon does not explain any of what you’ve just said. So it would probably be helpful to rewrite the help text to be more explicit and precise. If you want to keep it the way it is I’d also reconsider the glyph design to more clearly communicate there is a single save slot, with a separate reserve.

I don’t have a very strong opinion about exactly how it ought function here, but my inclination would be to just let us use as many consecutive streak saves as we please. If you want to extend the time it takes to earn them, that makes sense. Or you could expose these variables to the user for customization.

In any case, thanks for taking time to explain the currently implemented logic!
Best wishes.

2 Likes