My Clozemaster today looks like this:
What am I to do with 21 streak saves?
I don’t know exactly how the Clozemaster developers implemented streak saves, but I believe you won’t get saved if you miss multiple consecutive days. For example, I cannot take 21 days off and return to my streak still being intact. Not to mention that this would reduce the notion of a streak ad absurdum, and make the streak entirely meaningless.
Since you get an additional streak save every 6 days, in one year you get 60 streak saves (365/60). In one year, I’ll have 81 streak saves if I don’t change my habits.
What am I to do with this many streak saves? I could just ignore them, sure. But why add something to a service that is unneeded and needs to be ignored by the user? Why not implement streak saves in a more useful way?
Every 6 days this number increases, to the point of becoming ridiculous, and there’s currently no way for me to use this accumulated number in a useful way.
I don’t yet know exactly how to make my feedback more actionable for the Clozemaster developers. I’m curious what the community has to say. Maybe some actionable feedback will emerge.
3 Likes
I was going to say “Ignore 'em. That’s what I do”. (Well, except for the apparently unskippable pop-ups telling me “You! Have! A! New! Streak! Save!”, which make me roll my eyes rather than want to hit the screen the way crying Pikachu does. If there is a way to turn those notifications off in the options I’ve yet to find it, and they seem to pop up regardless of whether you have streaks or days played displayed.)
However then I read further, where you said…
To be fair… it’s something to be ignored by the likes of thee and me. And doubtless quite a few other regular posters as well who have reached a certain level. I’ve been using Clozemaster for literally years now, so streaks have lost all meaning to me.
However… some newer players DO want their streaks as a motivating factor. It’s a “drug” that DopeyLingo used to keep a significant number of users hooked for years before it started tanking because of… other changes, which is a subject that I’m not going to raise given what happened in another recent thread. (Save to say, the DopeyLingo stock price on 28 April 2025 when it announced a, ah, “change in focus” was $486.42. Its brief peak after that announcement? $520.21 on 19 May 2025. From there, after the reality of the change set in, the price looked like the backside of Mt Everest with the price at the time of writing being $143.51. Few companies deserve it more. But I digress. The key point is that streaks have been shown to work as a way of engaging many (not all) students, albeit not to the exclusion of all other factors.)
The streak freeze can prevent de-motivation for those people if they have a day when something external prevents them from practicing that day. If that matters to a student, even if that student is not me… I don’t begrudge the freezes existing. Like you, I do think that they accumulate too quickly (as the number of times I see the accursed “new! Freeze!” announcement demonstrates)… but since I don’t have a dog in that fight, I’m just going to say that as an aside. Changes to the accumulation rate I’ll leave to the members that streaks actually matter to.
That said, it would be remiss of me not to take the opportunity to flog one of my hobby horses on this issue again, though. I don’t care about streaks. At all. I find “days played” to be… interesting, but not essential. But the one metric that is missing in this, the one that I would really like to see implemented is “Days since LAST played”. How long has it been since I’ve practiced French? No idea, save that “too long” is the appropriate response. A streak does not motivate me since I have no intention of maintaining a streak in French anyway. But if I saw “Days since last played: 14”… that would be motivating to me.
5 Likes
This should only be done if we are given a way to indicate that we’ve intentionally dropped a language from our routine and don’t want to receive reminders for it.
Not just newer players. I’ve played Clozemaster every day for more than seven years, and I like to be able to see that figure. I could live without it, sure, but it’s just a little way to remind myself how long I’ve been at this.
However, I have yet to use a streak save, and I agree that the notifications are intrusive, both because they’re too frequent, and because the windows can’t be easily dismissed without a mouse click. (On a desktop, the escape key makes them go away, but I’ve never figured out whether the streak save itself is stored.) The thing is that the saves are useless for a vacation, or hospital stay, any longer than a single day. I feel a little like the complaining restaurant customer in an old joke (“The food is so bad! And the portions are so small!”). But the fact of the matter is that streak saves manage to be both intrusive to those who wouldn’t want to use them and unhelpful to those who would.
2 Likes
Sorry, my bad; I wasn’t clear enough about what I meant there. I’m talking about the existing box in the top right of the Web interface and its equivalent at the top of the app. At present it’s a toggle between “Streak” and “Days Played”. I would like to see a third option of “Days since last played”, which is the only measure that I’m really interested in. You’d never see it unless you went to the language anyway.
The issue of active reminders is a different thing. True, there is an e-mail reminder to keep up your streak if you haven’t practiced by {whatever} time if the day, and I suppose that would be useful to have for “days since last played” as well… though if it were to exist I would assume that it could be toggled off, since the streak reminder e-mail can be. In reality it’s been years since I’ve had those turned on, so I wasn’t even thinking about e-mail notifications.
2 Likes
Apparently yes. I just did a collection in French for the first time in… I suspect months. I really don’t know how long. (See also, my issue in the posts above.)
And I got a streak save.
For playing 1 day in the gods know how long. Like… how??? (Yes, that IS rhetorical, I’m assuming that one accrues for every 6 days of play even if those 6 days are non-consecutive and months apart, which throws the issue of the over-abundance of streaks into even sharper relief. I cant help feeling that getting a 1 day streak save for playing 1 day borders on parody at that point.)
But to your doubt above, I hit [Esc] and my newly minted streak save was indeed saved.
I think the easiest approach overall is just to give us an option of turning the “awesome” notifications off … and maybe giving people a chance to opt out of streak saves if the player thinks that they debase the coinage of a streak by having them. Or at least, having so many of them.
3 Likes