My favourite word today

Istinti (seguo i miei istinti). What’s yours I wonder.

5 Likes

“Calmati”

I have a faible for these verb+pronoun constructions.

3 Likes

Do please tell about the faible!

Stupidaggini is another fine word!

1 Like

Ergastolo has a nice ring to it, until you find out what it means :wink:

3 Likes

Ciao @morbrorper. A great word indeed until come dice tu…! Lol.

Would you believe, in our Italian club we have been discussing “la trippa” and how such parts have now become delicacies… “prelibatezze”, another fine word.

3 Likes

Two phrases this time : “La molli!” - drop it! and “zona Cesarini” - something at the last minute!

Grazie a Cloze e a Piero, Italian Club!

2 Likes

Sbrighiamoci!

In other languages you’d need half a sentence.

2 Likes

@anon94972132 Ah mi piace molto “Sbrighiamoci”! Today I learnt “orecchioni” - mumps!

In our Italian club we play Word Association and it is amazing the various links made. From Dormire leading on to Prigione;-)

You should join us;-)

Edit: Since advised by CivisRomanus that “gattoni” for mumps is more common. Viviamo e impariamo no?

4 Likes

Thank you for the invitation but it’s definitively to early for me. I am still deep down in B/C level. Give me a year … or so … :confused:

By the way, also thanks for all the helpful comments!

2 Likes

Ciao! @anon94972132 All levels are welcome, but I understand. We are lucky to have this spam-free forum so I like to make the most of it, sometimes with trivia I admit, but mainly just to stay in touch with others.

Tanti auguri…

3 Likes

8th maggio. My word today “Strimpellare” - to thumb (through pages) or strum (a guitar).

Una bella parola no? A dopo…

4 Likes

I really, really like Italian.
Still, I think it is fair to extend Floria7’s question to “What is your least favorite word?”

Let’s disregard for a moment the trio made in learners’ hell “ci” / “ce” / “ne”. :thinking:

My least favorite word so far is “elicottero”.
“Helikopter” is such a beautiful word (greek “Spiral feather”) and at least in German we try to keep the memory living by dividing it “He-li-ko-pter” with respect to the greek “Pteron”
In Italian you need a lot of linguistic fantasy to see the roots.
So “elicottero” is my placeholder for the Italian tendency to streamline classic words.

2 Likes

Ciao. Hmm, elio - helium and colleottero - beetle, this is the closest I could find but it doesn’t really “cut the mustard” helicopterwise;-). I can think of few Italian words such as yours although admit that “gioielliere” still takes me much concentrarsi before I say or try to write it.

Enjoyed your post!

2 Likes

In my opinion, the Italians can’t do wrong. I checked the Greek pronunciation of the word “helicopter”. I would say the Italians are closer to the original sound. And I do too really, really like Italian. :grinning:

2 Likes