Just couldn't resist a celebratory "Grazie mille!"

… for 777 happy days with Clozemaster. I have no idea where the time has gone but I’ve learnt more than I thought possible.

Thank you also, fellow Clozecisti, for all the encouraging upcheers:-) All truly appreciated.

Floria7

11 Likes

Ciao @Apostate . No way puny, just the start of 20 and up! :wink: Attaboy!

My best to you…

2 Likes

Congratulations!

Now what is a repdigit or magic number like 777 in Italian?

In German it is “Schnapszahl”, so: Cheers!

4 Likes

Mille grazie @anon94972132. What a great word - I’ve no idea if there is one in Italian. Must ask.

Have a good day;-)

1 Like

Nothing romantic in this case I’m afraid, as far as I’m aware; it’s a “numero a cifra ripetuta”, although the inglese “repdigit” is often used for brevity.

If there IS another word for it, I’m sure it’ll turn up in a Lorenzo Baglioni song eventually.

2 Likes

@LuciusVorenusX Hai ragione, e grazie! Or Caparezza, un rapper preferito with a sense of humour :wink:

2 Likes

It’s not just the sense of humour, though; Il Prof appeals to my inner nerd because his songs cover physics (there’s nothing like a power ballad on the laws of Kepler sung in Italian), biology, mathemarics, chemistry, medicine… oh, and of course language. If you haven’t seen this, it’s really worth watching! :laughing:

1 Like

Ha, only Il Prof could make the congiuntivo sound so… kinda, well you know…! Submit to the subjunctivo yo!

2 Likes

I just want to keep up the tradition:
Today is my 777th day on CM.

Time for a short summary.
11k+ phrases mastered
200 + hours spent

Did I learn something?
Yes, definitively. I am now on the verge of reading Italian books with enjoyment.
Would I have learned more, if I had spent the same time in a more tradional way, let’s say in classes?
Very probably.
Would I have spent the same amount of time e.g. in classes?
No way, because it would not fit in my busy everyday life.

So all in all, CM is almost ideal for me.
Thank you all for helping me along!

Next week it is off to Italy once again. Disillusionment for sure. Non così rapido ti prego. :open_mouth:

7 Likes

Ottimo lavoro @anon94972132! You summed it up beautifully.

Have a great day!:tada::+1:

1 Like

Ciao. Talking about books, other than our bookclub I’m reading via Kindle a wonderful bestseller by Lorenzo Marone “La tentazione di essere felici”. It has everything, wit, pathos, hilarity, pain, everything life throws at “Cesare Annunziata” my nuove eroe. Just thought I’d mention it.

2 Likes

Thank you. Advices for books are always appreciated! :open_book: :+1:
Since I am just now in Italy, I have a wide choice.
I settled for

• La pelle dell’ orso by Matteo Righetto, a coming of age story with a lot of Hemmingway and a bit of Twain, an easy read with the exception of single words in local alto adige dialect. It might be a man’s book, though.
  • Storia di Roma by Indro Montanelli. I was told that this is an absolute italian classic although it might by a little out of date. Nevertheless Montanelli seems to have been tremendously influencial in Italy. It is a very elegant read on par with the best of english history writing and not too difficult, if you know some Roman history before.
  • Il postino suona sempre due volte, an Italian translation of the classic J.M. Cain novel. I knew the original and both films, so it was not too difficult for me.
1 Like

Una lista molto interessante. I’m sure my Italian has improved because of reading. Every page once through in Italian and then tricky sentences translated.

I hope you’re enjoying Italy, I’m a kindly shade of green with envy;-) A dopo…

1 Like

I have to make an addition to my reading list, because a while ago we declared: “Siamo onesti!”

The fourth item on my booket list was “L’isola del giorno prima” by Eco.
I failed, miserably. :disappointed:
After fourty pages or so, I ruefully changed to the English edition.
Seems to me that for literature, I need another 10,000 clozes or so.

Small encouragment for these next 10,000 clozes: A few days ago in shop, when I - stammering - corrected myself in the middle of a sentence from “prendiamo” to “prenderemmo”, the shop owner almost kissed me. :it:

1 Like

Ciao MRgK. Good to hear from you! and I know how you feel, that’s why I go with Kindle; the translator is great tho’ occasionally it loses colourful nuances and occasionally gets Lei muddled with lei. But K does at least give one hope. You certainly deserved that bacio and yet another one for attempting Umberto Eco. On K I’m well into “La tentazione di essere felici” by Lorenzo Marone - his writing is beautiful, moving and very manageable. Allora, non mollare mai, that’s my daily motto :slight_smile:

Give my love to :it: Italy!

2 Likes