Has anyone figured out how to create collections without having to input both the target words and context sentences and translations?

Ideally, I’d like to create my own collections just by inputing the target words, and have Artificial Intelligence generate sentences and translations. In Russian, there is a lot of different forms of the same word, depending on Case or Conjugation, and those must pop up randomly for students to be able to practice them all.

1 Like

@Piligrim1979
A Japanese guy created a spreadsheet embedding the function you need. Watch the short demonstration video on Twitter.

As you see, once you put cloze-words in the first column on the Microsoft Excel, ChatGPT automatically generates example sentences including the cloze-words and translations.

The guy (Mr. Teppei Kikuchi) is the developer of a language learning app “Bintango”. He said that he is willing to share the tool for free. You can contact him via Twitter (X) in English. The tool was originally designed to generate Indonesian-Japanese example sentence pairs. But I believe the tool can be used for any other language pairs (in your case, Russian-English) by modifying the language codes set in the program - i.e., you need to request him for the language modification.

Please bear in mind that the example sentences generated by the tool may contain more difficult words than your cloze-words. Suppose that your {{cloze-word} is “story”. The tool may create a sentence like “I am fascinated by the {{story}}.” Apparently, most of English learners want to set {{fascinated}} as a cloze-word rather than {{story}}.

2 Likes

Thank you, but I don’t see how the spreadsheet converts into clozemaster sentences, do I have to do that manually?

@Piligrim1979
You can import a CSV file into your personal collection. Go to your “cloze-collection” section, click the + mark, and select “upload file”.

Regarding the format of CSV file, read this thread.

• The Clozemaster’s CSV format is “sentence in your target language”, “translation” and “cloze”.
  • The ChatGPT tool’s format is “cloze”, “sentence in your target language”. and “translation”.

So, you need to swap the order of columns.

Please be noticed that the file uploading system has some limitations (or I would rather call them “design concept errors”.)

• Note 1: The file uploader fails in checking the maximum number of characters in the “note” field.
    (related discussion)

• Note 2: Clozemaster currently accepts only five fields: “sentence”, “translation”, “cloze”, “pronunciation” and “note”. If you want to include alternative answers and/or hints, you should do manually one by one after importing a CSV file. (related discussion)

4 Likes

I am surprised clozemaster has not integraded AI, it seems like a logical thing to do. Or at least offer it for an extra charge. As for me, messing with the spreadsheet and then CSV and then proofreading is too much for my needs. I will stick to manually inputting, or cut and paste from Chat GPT.

@Piligrim1979

I strongly recommend you to use a spreadsheet rather than directly and manually cutting and pasting each sentence from ChatGPT one by one for the following reasons.

First, no one can guarantee that Clozemaster will continue the service. You need to back up your sentences in order to switch to other platforms in case of termination. Memrise is a good example. Memrise recently deleted all the user-generated contents.

On Clozemaster, there is no efficient way to download your personal sentences at once to back up the data. You need to bookmark your sentences one by one - which takes you much time if you have hundreds of sentences - and then you can download your bookmarked sentences. This is the only way for bulk download. So, it’s always a good idea to cut and paste from ChatGPT to your spreadsheet as a backup repository on your computer, and then upload a file to Clozemaster.

Second, Clozemaster’s universal search engine sucks (the search bar on the top right side of the dashboard on your Web.) You can search sentences across the collections of Most Common Words, Random Collection or Legacy Fluency Fast Track only. If you want to search your personal sentences, you need to specify a certain personal collection (i.e. click the “manage” button right next to each personal collection.) If you have more than one personal collections, you need to search the same term for each collection.

Moreover, the search term algorithm is underdeveloped. You cannot use basic search techniques (regex) to narrow down the results such as MINUS (-) to exclude a certain phrase and AND on Clozemaster. The only option is Wildcard (*). So, you had better have a spreadsheet as a central repository in your own computer for this sentence search purpose too. Learn more about the termination of regex search here.

Most of the features for PRO subscribers (e.g., managing personal collections and sentence search) are underdeveloped, unfortunately. I observed that user requests for improvement of or enhancements to such PRO features were often ignored by the admin. It seems to me a technical competency constrain rather than a business decision. You need to manage your expectation.

3 Likes

Thank you, MsFixer. I am still learning the ropes on here. Recently, I’ve been trying to import shared collections to reshare them with my students, and I had to ask support the same question twice, with screenshots, even though I think it’s a straightforward feature. I am not too concerned about it because some collections that I see are poorly made anyway, probably by students themselves. Do you know any other online vocabulary drill tools to supplement this one?

@Piligrim1979
I would love to take your question. But you’d better open another post under a different decent title in order for other users to answer and easily find the same topic later.

2 Likes