È uno spettacolo che non lui dimenticherà

Translation: It is a spectacle he will never forget.

Just wondering if the placing of “non” is for emphasis.

3 Likes

In the Italian sentence, “un” should be “uno” since the noun begins with “s” followed by a consonant. I’m not sure it’s correct to separate “non” and “dimenticherà.” For emphasis, the sentence could have “mai” at the end so the revision is "È uno spettacolo che lui non dimenticherà mai. Depending on context, “lui” could be eliminated or possibly moved to the end of the sentence.

2 Likes

O forse anche "È uno spettacolo che lui non si dimenticherà mai"?

2 Likes

Mi dispiace, the uno was my error not Cloze. I like all your thinking otherwise.

2 Likes

Interesting question. I don’t have a good understanding of the difference between dimenticare and dimenticarsi. I found this post on Reddit but would like to dig a bit deeper.

2 Likes

I first read this as “It is a spectacle that not *even he will forget”.

For “not even he” it would probably be better to say “che neanche lui dimenticherà” or “che nemmeno lui dimenticherà.” I don’t have a good understanding of the difference between neanche and nemmeno.

2 Likes

The placement of “non” does not really make sense.
The translation of the English sentence to Italian is “È uno spettacolo che (lui) non dimenticherà mai.”

“Dimenticarsi” is a reflexive form, and it is intransitive, so you cannot use it with a direct object.

You can say “dimenticarsi di qualcosa” e.g.

So if you want to use “dimenticarsi” you can say “È uno spettacolo di cui lui non si dimenticherà mai”?
But it is a bit more complex than using “dimenticare” in this case.

There is not a particular difference in meaning… Maybe “dimenticarsi” is a little more emphatic?

5 Likes