Todavía no sé cuál es mi dirección. Me voy a quedar donde mi amigo por un tiempo.

English Translation

I don’t know my address yet, I’m going to stay with my friend for a while.

Seriously, why wouldn’t someone say, ‘me voy a quedar con mi amigo?!’ Any help appreciated.

1 Like

Yes, you can say so.
“Me voy a quedar donde mi amigo por un tiempo” means that you will be living in his place for some time.

3 Likes

Just elaborating on the previous reply: if you’re a native English speaker, you know “I’m going to stay with my friend” has many meanings. It could mean staying near them (at a train station while they wait, for example), living in their home, or continuing your relationship with them.

Without additional context, “Me voy a quedar donde mi amigo” specifies the physical/geographical meaning of “stay with” (I’m going to stay where my friend is).

Let’s celebrate the fact that there are multiple ways of expressing the same idea in any language!

4 Likes

Thank you, IcyLake. Yes, many ways to say the same thing. It is good–and confusing! Thank you for your thorough clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Little late for a reply but, (cityotter)… if you haven’t yet, get the WordReference dictionary. It’s on my phone (and browser, also). It shows ‘donde’ in this context as a principal translation (along with every other meaning there is). Then shows alternate meanings, compound forms (tons of phrases using the word). It’s amazing. Has Collins dict., too. A forum that answers every question under the sun (don’t need to register, they show the posts that answer the questions). Verb conjugator, WR Reverso. Synonyms. It’s a great complement for here when we are puzzled about an alternate meaning of a word and want to dig deeper…

English Translation

I still don’t know my address. I’m going to stay with my friend for a while.

2 Likes