Supongo que usted ya no come con nosotros.

English Translation

I suppose you won’t eat with us now.

Everyone, why isn’t this subjunctive?!?! It’s completely uncertain. Please help!

3 Likes

Google Translate and DeepL have “don’t” instead of “won’t” and they both use the indicative future tense when translating the English translation into Spanish.

I’m not sure this Spanish sentence is completely uncertain, it seems to have a different tone to me. Like we could say “I suppose you won’t come over to eat” knowing full well they are not coming over to eat.

Subjunctive after special verbs implies a more hypothetical or hesitant message. (from John Bunt, A Reference Grammar of Modern Spanish)

Again, to me, this speaker here appears to be more certain that they’re not coming over.

The verb suponer (supongo) used here can take on both the indicative and subjunctive. Some good sources say it’s use as indicative or subjunctive is about 50 / 50.

Well, just trying to sort out your question. A good one, I might add!

Too bad there weren’t more verbs like ojalá. Always followed by subj. Suponer, about 50/50.

2 Likes

It is a bit surprising, but in Spanish the verbs related to thinking, such as pensar, creer, suponer, imaginar, normally take the indicative (in the positive), as opposed to the verbs of feeling and sentiment.

After a negation they normally take the subjunctive, though: “No supongo que usted ya coma con nosotros.”

Note that the future tense is often used to express doubt with these verbs.

If you search Clozemaster for “supongo que” you will find a huge majority of present indicative and future tense.

5 Likes
Portuguese Translation

Estou vindo.

Well, I don`t know what is the intention of this sentence, but it has a very different meaning in some movies…