Request for Streak Freeze

Happy to help! I totally feel like a free person now when I started my new review schedule. My review forecast on that chart as of now is only 20 sentences for tomorrow , 2 sentences for 11/26 and the rest till 12/15 is zero. My FFT reviews are sitting there for a year not changed. Will get to them at the end. And I know that nothing will appear on my review chart without me putting it there. Marching to the end of 10,000 most common words collection! I do realize, it might not work for everyone, but if you, like me did the same review sentences what feels like way too many times, it is time to take control over those avalanches, or as I prefer to call them “my Augean stables”.

5 Likes

@barcarolle Just a line to tell you I’m so enjoying Learning more and Racing less. I’ve discovered so much more variety, I can choose what to review, and it’s so much more fun than worrying about “keeping up”. Even found a few extras that I hadn’t realised existed so all is good. Mille grazie per “la spinta”.

3 Likes

Great! You are welcome! Happy studies!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback and input! We have some kind of streak freeze and some kind streak repair features on the roadmap. We still need to iron out the details of what exactly those features will look like - all the comments here so have been super helpful, thank you. Any other thoughts please be sure to let us know.

@MikeInTaiwan we updated the streak you mentioned. If you it resets again please let us know of course, as well as if there’s anything that comes to mind that may have impacted it - for example changing time zones, playing at a different time of day than usual, or playing offline in the mobile app.

That’s helpful to know as well, thanks. We’ll think through how to pause reviews as well as the streak. What do you think of a “max reviews per day” setting, or perhaps a way to redistribute reviews over the next N days when they do pile up?

6 Likes

I have wanted a “max reviews per day” setting for a long time. It would be simple to understand and presumably simple to implement, and for those reasons, I would prefer it to a way to redistribute reviews over N days. Thanks for looking into this, and also into the ability to pause reviews and streaks.

2 Likes

We kind of have that now. When reviews pile up, we’re free to do our usual number and then a bit more, to pay off our debt over time. I’d just rather not incur the debt in the first place. If I have 100 reviews when I go on vacation, I’d like to come back a week later and still see 100 reviews.

My Clozemaster load is just right most of the time. But I’d prefer to skip some languages on the weekend, and skip everything for family commitments, vacations, etc. I’d be fine with giving up my streak for that, but I don’t want my reviews to get out of control. I guess a “max reviews per day” setting would be slightly helpful.

I don’t like the idea of streaks in general. Consistency is important, but a streak doesn’t really mean anything (especially when you can freeze and repair it), and obsession with it is not healthy. Duolingo froze streaks for Ukrainian refugees - sadly, some people probably needed that to know their streak is not all that important.

Some streak ideas (which might have already been said here):

• Just track the total number of days you’ve been active, consecutive or not. This is a better measure of commitment, and this number never gets reset to 0.

• Let Pro users not show their streak. For free users, I understand wanting to get them hooked on a streak. But Pro users are already hooked; no need to put this pressure on them if they don’t want it.

4 Likes

I would happily welcome such a feature, especially if it would prioritize the non-100%-mastered items.

4 Likes

For the first time ever my reviews are …!! :sob: but I’m learning much more, so any help or suggestions I happily support.

2 Likes

After thinking about the “max reviews per day” setting some more, I’m starting to like it more.

For French, I theoretically get 160 reviews a day from the Fluency Fast Track (usually a few more because sentences I got wrong will come up for review sooner, although sometimes less for the same reason). First I was thinking that I’d set the max reviews to 200, so I’d have 160 reviews on most days, and 200 reviews when I was in catch-up mode. I don’t like that; I want it to be consistent.

But I guess what I would do is set the max reviews to 160 - the number of reviews I actually want to get every day. Now, that means that I’d be perpetually behind schedule. If 161 sentences were up for review, I’d do 160 and add one to the pile, so the pile would build up ad infinitum. I could set the max reviews to 170 to give some buffer. Or since the schedule is kind of arbitrary anyway, I could just accept knowing that I have an enormous review pile - as long as I can’t see it.

As morbrorper said, it would need to prioritize the less mastered items. If you have a new word today and you have it set to come up again in 2 days, you really want it to come up in 2 days, and not be behind thousands of 100% mastered words.

3 Likes

I think that in the long run, the review problem can only be solved by each learner learning every cloze to the point of “forever known”.

Unfortunately I don’t have the memory to say “I have played this cloze 15 times so now I know it”, or “I failed this cloze two months ago; I can’t be sure I know it yet.” I need more help from the system.

5 Likes

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your taking care of that.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Clozemaster close to a year now, and today my streak reads 2! Yes, it’s deflating. It’s the 4th day I have missed. If my streak displayed something like 322/4, I could still feel good about that, and it would be MUCH more informative.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on a person how he/she reacts to the loss of a streak. It happened to me the first time when I switched devices. I was upset a little at the time. After that I had that streak thingy interrupted at least 15 times. I take breaks. They are wonderful. I learned a new phrase in Italian today :“pettinare le bambole” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It made my day. I am taking my break to enjoy holidays. P.S. Maybe my view of things will make someone’s life easier.

2 Likes

Frankly, I’d like to see an option to opt out of the streak functionality. I know how silly that sounds, but it just creates unnecessary anxiety for me. Rationally I know the number doesn’t mean anything (the “general” streak requires just one sentence per course and the “goal” streak isn’t shown anywhere, so it doesn’t matter much even to me), but I still end up with the ever-rising anxiety associated with the sunken cost fallacy of an internet number going up every day.

I think the levels, leaderboards and deck completion bars filling up are sufficient gamification and they’re motivating enough (the real motivation should always be your language skill, the goal isn’t accumulating internet numbers, but speaking a language, after all, but I see how these things help).

The streak just leads to me having silly stress of needing to use the app during holidays, not being able to go a day without internet or shaping my reviews around streaks, because I often exercise at about midnight (right before it), so I need to satisfy the streaks first. I know it’s silly, but that’s just how I react. I know I could hide the streak on PC with user scripts, but there is still the app, so an option to opt out would be nice. It’s not even near being a pressing issue overall, even for me, but it’s one of these things “if I designed an app…”.

Linguno doesn’t have streaks at all and I noticed how weirdly liberating it is, and how I keep using it every day nonetheless in a planned manner, because there are still statistics and just because I’m into routines. Also, ClozeMaster is de-facto paid now (with a free demo), so there’s always the motivation of “getting your bang for the buck”.

3 Likes

And both features would be highly valuable with high emphasis on the repair one

2 Likes

Lost another 500+ day streak on a language from a day when all the other languages were done. It is easy to overlook one language missed in a set…and it still hits hard with a demoralizing sting.

3 Likes

@mike : something weird happened 2 days ago. I seem to have had two languages reset to 0. It is possible I overlooked them, but I did complete the practice that evening which is my habit on other languages, and I’m pretty religious on making sure all are complete before closing. Is it possible something went off on the backend on the 6th which impacted recording? I default to assuming “human error” usually, but this time I’m pretty darn certain they were all closed. — I’m putting this here as I believed one of the previous misses to also be a tech-glitch, but assumed it was more likely to be my mistake and simply forgot to . Now that I’m seeing it again, I’m wondering.

As tech glitches may happen, it’s another reason that some sort of freeze solution is available

1 Like

@mike - I found the glitch again yesterday in my Spanish set. I completed a large number of offline questions while on a plane. Post sync the daily goal goes to 308 points - irrespective of how many questions you do. See screen shot of multiple languages showing 308 points. Today, the daily-goal count was reset to “1” even though the screen shot attached was for yesterday and shows the daily goal streak was 291 and yesterday was met.

Looks like a bug there 1) counting points post offline sync, 2) something in the day streak went off.

3 Likes

Offline does seem a bit off at the moment. I received a “synch” message at least a week after I had worked o/line, which affected my streak etc and Mike very kindly helped get me more or less back on track. Hopefully it will improve as being able to work off line is an absolute bonus. Streak? I tend to keep it going merely as an incentive to practice regularly. Nothing more.

3 Likes

Thanks for screenshot and additional info! And sorry for the trouble, we’re trying to track this bug down.

Are you still seeing it reset on your phone? On my end I’m seeing your Spanish daily goal streak as 243. If you are still seeing it reset, is it reset on the Dashboard for Spanish, in the My Languages list like in the screenshot you sent, or both (or someplace else I’m forgetting)?

1 Like