Remove useless collection load on opening search dialog

Always when I open the sentence-search dialog (Dashboard, looking-glass icon), before I can start searching, the system performs a default search which I find completely useless: it adds an unnecessary delay (sometimes quite long), and I have no use for the search result whatsoever.

Also, the input field for the query does not automatically have input focus, and can only be set manually after the default search is finished.

3 Likes

I fully agree that the "Search of Randomness" is totally unnecessary (… and unnecessary means excess energy consumed, which means excess carbon footprint).

N.B. I don’t recall seeing the “Loading…” take more than a fraction of a second on my PC - I certainly wouldn’t have enough time to take a screenshot - but there are many reasons why that might be the case, and I don’t mean that in any way to detract from your bug report.

3 Likes

I spend quite some time where I have a slow and unreliable mobile connection, hence the long delays.

3 Likes

Ah, I thought it was just me! Thanks for raising this.

3 Likes

Thanks for raising! Fixed on the web.

4 Likes

Brilliant!

I’m wondering, could the same fix be applied to the search dialog brought up by the Manage-collection buttons?

2 Likes