Quiero que vaya él.

English Translation

I want him to go there.

I don’t see how ‘there’ is accounted for in the translation

It is not. Report the sentence or correct the English one.

1 Like

I tried to have the sentence fixed in the source material too.

https://tatoeba.org/en/sentences/show/939673

I’m only at the beginning of my Spanish journey, so I don’t know what is correct. What do you say @MistahMartinez?

In Spanish it’s not necessary in this sentence to use allí = there, as it is implied.
The question is, in the English sentence it is necessary the use of there to differentiate the two possible meanings Shishir brought up?

The English sentence was changed from “I want him to go there” to “I want him to go”. This changed the meaning from “going there” to “going away”.

Are you saying that “I want him to go there” was right all along? If the Spanish sentence implies “there”?

Should the change be undone?

If “I want him to go” only means ‘‘going away’’ and not both ‘‘going there’’ and ‘‘going away’’, yes it should be undone.

Thank you for your perspective @MistahMartinez

Then the change should be undone, in my opinion.

I’m learning Spanish both from English and from German. I was especially confused by this sentence, because

• from the English course, “I want him to go there” links to this sentence
  • from the German course, “I want him to go away” also links to this sentence

I’ve already had the German–Spanish sentence pair in the source material (Tatoeba.org) unlinked. I will now report the English sentence to include “there” again. And ask @mike to add a note to the Spanish sentence with the explanation that the word “there”, although omitted, is implied in the Spanish sentence. So that in the future, people won’t be confused as @PatientRain2737 and I were, and questions like this won’t come up again:

I’m afraid, even though the German–Spanish pair is now unlinked in the source material on Tatoeba, it will still remain connected on Clozemaster. Hopefully, this can be fixed too.

1 Like