Quel tipo non lo rivedrò mai più.

Carla is definitely not saying “tipo” here. Any clues, ragazzi?

“Quel tipo…” è corretto in italiano
C’è anche il film “Quel tipo di donna” (That kind of woman) con Sophia Loren.

Curiously enough, the sentence is linked to the Tatoeba sentence “Quel gong non lo rivedrò mai più”, (I won’t see that gong anymore). What’s gonging on here?

https://tatoeba.org/eng/sentences/show/1740686

1 Like

Ah when I previously encountered this about a month ago, it sounded like “gong” indeed, but today Carla is back on track with “tipo”

1 Like

I won’t see that guy anymore.

Anyone care to elaborate on “tizio” vs “tipo” here? I see both on CM. Theory…is “tizio” like a disparaging “dude” while “tipo” is more respectful?

They have the same meaning, tizio is referred only to a person, tipo has more meanings

7 Likes
English Translation

I won’t see that guy anymore.

Has “tipo” a derogatory meaning, as it is in Portuguese?

2 Likes

I do not think so. = guy, fellow

2 Likes

Ciao Anxos. They also refer to una tipa in a book I’m reading so it’s an “ok word”.

1 Like

There is a thorough explanation here:

https://learnamo.com/parola-tipo-italiano/

Btw, Floria, I do not understand your remark.
Just because there exists a female form of a word, it doesn’t mean it isn’t derogatory.
In German we have e.g. “Idiotin” (a female idiot), but that doesn’t make it less insulting.

1 Like

Hi @anon94972132 It was merely a mention that twice I had seen the word tipa used, in a good way, in both the books I’m reading in Italian so I kinda trusted the very excellent writer. In this day and age offence is taken so easily, so my apologies if my lack of finding a word possibly offensive might possibly have caused offence to anyone reading my tipa comment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, @Floria7 and @Anxos ! By derogatory I mean “something that lowers the valor of”. If you say tipo in Portuguese, it means subjectively that among many kinds of people, that person is of a lower kind, or tipo, not necessarily an offensive word, like b*tch.
Btw, reading is an excellent way to “feel” when a word is in its proper place.
Thank you all!

1 Like

Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. I did not understand that you have seen the word “tipa” in a positive connotation. That of course makes sense.

Btw, in German it is just like in Italian. The tone of the word “Typ” depends on context.
You can say “Komischer Typ” (strange guy), which is negative or e.g. “Er ist genau mein Typ” (he is exactly my kind of guy), which is positive. But it is always casual if applied to people.

1 Like

It’s casual, but not derogatory. Kind of like “mec” in French.