Persist settings across devices, stop nuking my settings

It would be nice if my settings were server-side so that I didn’t have to set them on every new device. I always want Dark Theme, I always want the same sized text box, and I always want sound effects off. Personally I don’t see the need for a per-device override, but some users may want that.

Also, my settings keep getting wiped out and one day I’m suddenly back to light theme, sound effects on, and a changing text box size… I suspect this is due to the way settings are stored as local storage combined with certain server-side updates fragging my local storage, and so am leaving the note about it happening hear rather than as a unique bug. Storing everything server side would fix this, a two-for-one deal! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the trouble! What browser, device, and operating system are you using? Does this happen all the time?

This information will help us find the issue and fix it as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Georgiana @Clozemaster

The problems of my settings suddenly going away has happened on Windows/Linux, in both Firefox and Chrome. I am unable to reliably reproduce it, but I’m keeping my eye out for patterns!

Although, as I said, I’d much rather my preferences were stored server-side so they were the same whenever I logged in anyway. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for posting! More persistent setting storage is long overdue and definitely high on the to-do list. The current approach using local storage was a good temporary solution, but less than ideal for the reasons you mentioned. We should be able to support cross browser / cross device settings for nearly all the settings except voices, as their availability differs by device and browser for the default play modes. I’ll respond to your other post shortly. Anything else please be sure to let us know. Thanks again!