Ogni sentenza in quel libro è importante.

English Translation

Every sentence in that book is important.

“Sentenza” was the cloze word here, I was a bit surprised by this one, I kept trying things along the lines of “frase”.

Unless this is a book describing a lot of judicial sentences passed, I do feel “sentenza” isn’t very appropriate here (e.g. none of the definitions I found on Treccani seem to correspond to the kind of “sentences” normally found in books or texts in general sentènza in Vocabolario - Treccani).

2 Likes

Yes, totally agree. I also came across it recently and mentally changed it to frase. I wonder what ZZ will say.

A dopo…

2 Likes

The personal diary of Judge Dredd perhaps?

I see that our old friend GuyBrush88 added 3 sentences translations for the English “Every sentence in that book is important”.

First a translation using Ogni frase in … Ogni frase in quel libro è importante. - Italian example sentence - Tatoeba
Then a few months later The Book of Judgements translation Ogni sentenza in quel libro è importante. - Italian example sentence - Tatoeba
Then the following year Ogni frase di … Ogni frase di quel libro è importante. - Italian example sentence - Tatoeba

It appears that he might have been trying to be thorough in his coverage, although perhaps on this occasion it would have been better if he’d just left it at the straightforward interpretation.

3 Likes

Mille grazie for all this info. I also tend to go for straightforward.

Auguri…

1 Like