Non vi fidate dei vostri istinti?

German Translation

Vertraust du nicht deinem Instinkt?

Should be “Vertraut IHR EUERM Instinkt nicht” afaics.

– I’ve come across about 3 phrases in the last ~50 where the translation points to the wrong person, many times 2nd person singular instead of 3rd singular, which is a bit confusing…

5 Likes

You are indeed correct, this is one of those cases where there were no direct translations between the language pairings and this is probably a linked translation of a translation, via a language like English, which doesn’t distinguish between singular and plural “you” in a lot of cases, like I raised here - the ES-IT, NL-IT, PT-IT etc language pairings unfortunately seem to suffer from the same issue.

5 Likes

The Italian sentence could use the “voi” as a formal you; however it is odd to say “vostri istinti” even if you are talking to a “plural you”: it is more common to say: “Non vi fidate del vostro istinto”.

“Istinti” in the plural form, is generally used to talk about instincts that go against the “public moral”, such as sexual desire.

6 Likes

Here’s an example for translation with 2nd singular instead of 3rd (as mentioned, I’ve seen many more like it):

“Che sta faciendo?” – “Was machst du gerade?”

Reading the Italian, it’s obviously 3rd person, “What is (s)he doing?” / “Was macht er/sie gerade?”. The only explanation I can see is that it’s gone through English (“What are you doing”, reading 3SG as formal), but this would be “Was machen Sie gerade” in German.

Is there a mechanism to report these? Does it get noticed and maybe approved for everyone if I change the translation via “edit sentence”?

1 Like

Look for the red icon labeled “Report”.

No, your edits are private.

2 Likes

Ah ok will do thanks. I thought that was to report inappropriate phrases.

3 Likes