No me tendría que haber casado.

English Translation

I shouldn’t have gotten married.

Says “tendria” in the question, but then “tenia” in the explanation. I’m thinking tenia is correct

As happens every now and then with AI, the explanation sometimes has “allucinated” information (ie, mistakes). In this case I think it just allucinated the spanish sentence having “tenia” instead of “tendria”.

With that out of the way; that doesn’t mean that the sentence is incorrect with “tenía”. To me “I shouldn’t have gotten married” is indeed best translated as “No tendria que haberme casado”, though.
I’ve been thinking for a while what “No tenia que haberme casado” would be, as initally it seemed to also fit. But because I’m struggling to come up with an alternative, and Google translate actually translates both to the same english sentence, I feel it might be a distinction that is missing in english. Anyhow, just to illustrate the idea, a quote-unquote litteral translation could be “I didn’t have to have gotten married”, whoch sound unatural and super clunky.
I’ll come back if I get a better idea or explanation.

2 Likes

Re “no me tendría que haber” I’m more used to seeing the pattern “no me debería haber”, (“no debería haberme”).

1 Like