Language Request: Kurdish from English

I just sent the request in for the Kurdish-English language pair via the email link thing from the list of languages that suggests this is the thing to do.

I figured that I would also put a post here just for extra redundancy and transparency, in case there is popular support or something. I just like the forum experience better, and I’m not exactly clear on what the regulations are for most things here, so cowboy mode it is. ( not a “Give it now!” in any case - I know these things take time and work. )

3 Likes

Much has happened since this last post.

Firstly, tatoeba is now differentiating between the different dialects. As of today, Kurmancî has 8,500 sentences alone. A far cry from the 800 or so at that time. The number of kur-eng translations is at 2,800, though.

Furthermore, I have recently been in contact with the team advocating for a kurdish course on duolingo ( more information can be found here Forum - Duolingo ). There has been much enthusiasm around this, for multiple years, but there seems to be not much progress, unfortunately. As such, there has been the idea of alternative ways to bring kurdish language learning to the masses, and that means aiming for adding the language pairs on clozemaster.

I can’t promise anything since I’m neither a speaker nor someone on the inside of the aforemention initiative, but we could be seeing a increase on the diversity and quantity of sentences on tatoeba after this. It is my impression that the main bottleneck is that most of the skilled and motivated translators simply aren’t aware of the tatoeba and clozemaster.

Referencing this post on the mongolian thread Would Mongolian be possible at this point? - Clozemaster - Clozemaster I went ahead and advised them to shoot for 10,000.

2 Likes

I figure I may as well update this semi yearly.

So far the number of northern kurdish to english translations on tatoeba sits just above 3700. Unfortunately, quite a few of these are single word entries, and the height of complexity appears to be sentences along the lines of “I am learning x language” and “My name is x”.

On the other hand, there has been some duolingo community based posts that one can read for self teaching found here.

There are further lessons by the same poster.

Additionally, there is the website http://kurdishlessons.com/ which has a youtube series from English, a purely kurdish podcast ( with relatively little content but it is ongoing ) and paid tutoring.

For immersion learning there is this youtube series https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF58A938D0E64073A dersa kurdi.

1 Like

Unfortunately the duolingo forums have closed. I believe threads have been archived but I am not sure of where at the moment. Hopefully the threads are still available somewhere.

In any case, here are some stat updates.

Kurmanji sentences are at 9912. Kurmanji sentences with english translations are at 4084.

Pretty good.

Soranı sentence total is 11,798. Soranı to english total is a staggering 11,329.

This one could probably be added.

Southern kurdish has total 1048. To english only 169.

This one has a ways to go.

1 Like

there doesn’t seem to have been much improvement on kurdish tatoeba since last check in. I guess that with the duolingo kurdish push being taken out there just hasn’t been any place to congregate and steam has been lost.

1 Like