Is Clozemaster boring?

I want to apologize if I come across as a bit extreme in this topic. It’s just that the Word of the Year 2023 is enshittification. I simply want to prevent my beloved Clozemaster from letting itself get steered into destruction by clueless casual users. Too many other services I loved went down that path. (Replace “clueless users” with “greedy shareholders” or “project managers who care more about their promotion than delivering a good product” in those other cases.)

3 Likes

I’m with you davidculley;-)

1 Like

@Floria7
You probably don’t remember, but you once advocated gamification and even seemed to force your preference to a gamification hater here.

My point is that people use the term “gamification” in different ways, and some are overreacting to the term without analyzing the details. Why don’t you just respect others’ different learning styles, and just care about whether Clozemaster will give us an option to opt out from new gamification features?

@mike and all users,
As a new “challenge” system proposed by Mike, how about the number of new words you’ve learned?

I’ve already walked myself through all of the Most Common Words Collections. Since then, I’ve been adding new sentences to my personal collections while reviewing MCWCs. But I have to admit that recently I put less effort than I used to do so into MCWCs. That is probably because the bar charts of MCWCs are all green (100%). And as @morbrorper pointed out, the higher your point level goes up, the less frequently you move up to the next level.

If Clozemaster could count the number of new words - both in MCWCs or other ready-made collections AND personal collections, that might give (some of) us a real sense of achievement and encourage them to share new sentences/cloze words with other users.

The number of sentences you played/mastered as well as points earned don’t indicate your language proficiency. But the vocabulary size does - by borrowing the great phrase from morbrorper, the vocab size is a right metric for rewarding one’s quality.

1 Like

Hi MsFixer. Ah, no way, 'fraid you have misunderstood me. I merely supported a couple of seconds of lighthearted congratulations upon leveling up. A totally different kettle of fish to all sorts of Duo-type gamification. You will perhaps note from my other posts that Billy Joel and I both emphasised “don’t go changing”:wink: And of course I respect the needs of others, particularly as suggested by morbrorper, how sad that you should accuse me of not doing so, I merely add my own thoughts like everybody else. Never mind, cordiali saluti, and have a good day.

1 Like