How to avoid unnecessary duplication of sentences?

I often find myself hearing interesting words in series and films and looking them up on Clozemaster. My problem then is that if I find a good sentence, I can easily add it to one of my collections, but frankly, I could just as well use a Clozemaster collection, instead of inflating my own collections with duplicates. Using a Clozemaster collection also gives me the Clozemaster voices and, for some languages and collections, the grammar analysis, which I don’t get for my own collections.

The work-around is to note in which collection(s) the sentence appears, go directly to one of them, and add the sentence to reviews. This, however, is cumbersome, so I tend not to do it unless the sentence is in the FFT.

I’m wondering if the system could help me in any way, perhaps by making it possible to jump straight in to a sentence in a collection directly from the search dialog.

4 Likes

There might have been a recent change regarding copying Clozemaster voices into private collections.

When you now look up a word using the main search button at the top of the dashboard of a language, then if that sentence has Clozemaster recordings attached to it, they will be copied over to the copy in the private collection when you use the “Add to Collection” button.

You are right that this does not appear to extend to grammar analysis - and yet sentence discussions are copied over (or possibly a link to the discussion is copied over, so that any the sentence still links back to the forum; … or possibly the link exists because it is freshly created using some hashing algorithm or similar which once again maps over to the same forum discussion).

Wehn using the main “global” search button, I would find it helpful if the search results listed the collections by default - possibly in a different colour to the main text to avoid confusion - rather requiring me to press the “Collections” button against each sentence to see the list of collections.

3 Likes

I hadn’t noticed that; that does indeed address one of my worries. Thanks for the heads-up, @zzcguns!

3 Likes

I still think it would be helpful if one could open a collection directly from the search results, by clicking in the list of collections.

In my current workflow I have to exit the search dialog, open a separate window on the same language pairing, find the desired collection (if I still remember which one), open it and search using the same search expression as in the initial search. That’s quite a few steps that could easily be automated.

4 Likes

Yes, this feature would be so helpful!! I usually first search FFT for a word I want to add, and then the entire database if there are no sentences in FFT; it would amazing if that process could be reduced to a single search.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback!

Trying out Youtube for this demo, we still need to come up with a good way to share short videos like this. Please let us know if you notice any issues. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would think that you could have a link to your YouTube page prominent enough on the site OR in your Faqs to share, and remind folks you have a YouTube channel - as that might be the easiest way to make it more evident that you are adding demo videos.

3 Likes

This is awesome! Thanks for all the hard work. Excited to also see all these cool new features implemented in the mobile app! :slight_smile:

3 Likes