Hitting Enter on an empty cloze causes empty submission

It has happened too many times now, that I have accidentally pressed Enter immediately on the opening of a cloze, causing an empty submission and an inevitable reset to 0% mastered.

On the other hand it is handy to press Enter on an empty input field, to see the correct answer if I cannot come up with any answer, but this case could probably be detected by measuring how long the cloze has been open before the press of the Enter. Or, I would not mind having to input some garbage before pressing Enter, as long as the accidental reset is prevented.

9 Likes

It happens to me as well once in a while. Maybe the button shouldn’t do anything in the first second or so, as it’s most likely pressed by mistake.

3 Likes

Yes, I had been thinking of raising this one too, but I hadn’t gotten around to it; I’m glad that you did. I don’t think it’s by design; the green [Submit] button is ghosted out when the entry field has a zero length (even if you enter something and then delete it, the [Submit] button returns to a ghosted out state), but the [Enter] key is still active. It’s all too easy to hit the [Enter] key one time too often (especially when the connection is lagging a little and you’re not sure whether the first one registered) and hear that dreaded “Fwoomp!” followed by the score dropping to zero and the little red “incorrect” number incrementing.

2 Likes

I should add that there is a similar issue with the Android app, if one accidentally double-taps the Enter button.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Updated such that submitting a blank cloze requires Enter to be pressed 2x (in other words the first Enter on an empty cloze is ignored). Please let us know of course if you notice any issues or have any further feedback. Will handle this issue in the mobile app separately.

4 Likes

I am still having this happen to me on the website with text input. Mostly recently in the Indonesian and Irish courses.

3 Likes

It just happened to me, so it is not completely fixed.

Update: It happened after I had pressed ‘3’ for “Easy”, so if the code only handles two successive presses of the Enter key, this might need special attention.

1 Like

@mike, I find that the protection against this happening is not working reliably anymore. Has there been a regression?

Unfortunately, this is a difficult issue for me to test, without ruining my percentages. :wink:

1 Like

There shouldn’t have been (though that’s always the case with bugs :slight_smile:). If you notice any patterns please let us know. We’ll try reproducing in the meantime.

1 Like

I think I’d rather that it not accept a blank cloze at all. I’ve just been caught out twice in one round courtesy of an increasingly worn enter key. If the user didn’t want to play the word they’d still have the option of ignoring it or entering gibberish.

I still have the same issue every time I hit Enter by accident when new cloze shows up. Even if the button is greyed out.

Can we have an option to permanently disable Enter if the answer box is empty?

1 Like

New game setting for text input on the web:

5 Likes

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!

(Translation: “I am rather pleased to see this.”)

4 Likes

Works great! Thanks!!

2 Likes

Whatever was fixed here, isn’t fixed any longer.

In my Fluency Fast Track review somehow the input box lost focus (I may have bumped the track pad) so there I was happily typing away into nothing, hit [Enter] just as I looked up to see an empty input box and… merrnerp, wrong answer. Just to confirm it, I just hit Enter twice on the next question and… merrnerp, wrong answer again.

1 Like

Interesting, let me see if I have any FFT to review for my next round. I just tried it on my “All” review, and there it is still working as expected (i.e. pressing “enter” on the blank field doesn’t do anything).

Edit: Nope, tried at various points throughout my 100 round of FFT reviews, and all still in order for me at least, even though I did encounter some strange cases where one of the accented characters (and some of the others seem to be selected on occasion, but that didn’t seem to affect blank + enter behaviour either). [Actually I guess the strange accent selection was just because of accidental mouse-over perhaps, I guess I was being hyper-vigilant of any oddities]

P.S. In trying to show the strange apparent “selection” of accented characters (even though nothing was entered in the blank field), I noticed that others might easily verify if the “enter on an empty cloze” is still working correctly for them through the colour of the “Submit” button, though I haven’t verified that yet, but it appears a bit lighter than usual in the screenshot of the blank cloze to me.

Edit 2: Confirmed, @LuciusVorenusX, without needing to press “Enter” to test it, it seems that the “Submit” button should be appearing differently to the slightly faded version in my screenshot for you at the moment?

1 Like

I’m not sure whether this will work, but I created a GIF image to show what’s happening.

(It didn’t… I got a message saying that the file was too large and that the maximum is 4,096kb… while the GIF was in fact only 2100kb. It suggested that I use a file sharing service to share it, of which I do not have a current one. Having typed the rest of the message though I’m going to post it as a “hold that thought” until I can get some kind of file share set up.)

I deliberately slowed waaaay down to illustrate this:
At 0:02 I click in the text box. The submit button is still pale green suggesting that it’s disabled.
At 0:04 I type the “I”, causing the Submit button to become unghosted.
At 0:06 I hit Enter for the Submit button, which changes the button to Next.
At 0:08 I hit Enter for the Next button. Immediately after that we have the next question, which then appears with the Submit button ghosted again.
At 0:11 - and I deliberately paused and looked at the state of the Submit button before I did this - I hit Enter ONCE.

Boom, wrong “answer”. This is on Firefox 86.0.1 (64-bit).

1 Like

You could try imgur.com to share the gif?

I was trying on Brave and couldn’t reproduce, let me check on Firefox.

1 Like