Hindi learning upgrades - शाबाश!

@mike,

Excited to see the updates to Hindi! First, I can confirm after a few days that I’m no longer getting “is” and “can” as Cloze words, except in the 100 most common collection where they actually belong.

Second, I opened the app this morning to be greeted with a huge list of lists like 100 Most Common, plus the beloved Fluency Fast Track. I went through 20 on the 100 Most Common list, and indeed, they’re super-common. I think this will be really really helpful to me and other Hindi learners, so thanks for making thing available!

3 Likes

Great, and glad to hear! Progress was automatically migrated from the Random Collection to the Most Common Word collections which I realize in retrospect may not have been preferable. If you or anyone else would like us to move that progress back to the Random Collection please let me know.

The Random Collection will also not appear in the mobile app at the moment as a result of adding the Fast Track and Most Common Word collections - we’re working on getting an update released within the next week or so that will have the Random Collection appear even if the Fast Track is present.

1 Like

Progress was automatically migrated from the Random Collection to the Most Common Word collections which I realize in retrospect may not have been preferable. If you or anyone else would like us to move that progress back to the Random Collection please let me know.

Thanks. I personally don’t want to lose all the hard work I did on Random. The sentences are teach the same stuff no matter what list they’re in.

The Random Collection will also not appear in the mobile app at the moment as a result of adding the Fast Track and Most Common Word collections - we’re working on getting an update released within the next week or so that will have the Random Collection appear even if the Fast Track is present.

I can understand why somebody would want to have Random available. Since I’m still a novice, I’m happy to be guided by Most Common or FFT.

And now a question for you (or maybe everyone): do you think learners would appreciate curated versions of the Most Common list? I noticed that while most of the MC 100 list sentences are very short and very simple, a couple are most definitely not. My uneducated guess is that the other words in these sentences only appear once or twice in the entire corpus, so you don’t select them as possible Clozes, and it so happens that in that sentence, the only thing left is a very simple word. I believe a learner would be intimidated by a sentence like that, rather than learning the simple word.

It seems I could flag those sentences as I’m going by and later download the whole MC100 and create a copy that doesn’t have the few hard ones. Plus maybe change the Cloze word for a few of the others. Do you think that would be useful to others? (I might be too lazy to do it, especially for the big lists. But I was thinking it might be helpful, if I do find the energy.)

1 Like