Help us improve Clozemaster! What would you most like to see added, changed, or improved?

LuciusVorenusX I absolutely agree with you on “he” and “her” mismatched voices issue. I listened as an example , to “nato” and “nata” in the sentences search cloze.The female voice says “nata” about herself in one sentence, then a male voice says “nata” about himself in a differen sentence. I , as learner, supposed to perceive the female voice as a direct speech, and a male voice as guy who reads the text about female who talks about herself. You said jarring? Ditto!

5 Likes

Actually that gave me a laugh because I was just thinking this morning that I have been spending way, waaaaaaaay too much time on Clozemaster over the last couple of months and need to back it up a bit. Why the laugh? Because by extension, that means that I have been spending way, way too much time on custom collections. In Italian it has been almost all in custom collections because I’m trying to pound about 3000 core collection sentences into my skull to the point that they become the equivalent of muscle memory, plus about 3,000 others on a longer review cycle. That in turn means that it’s Backfeed Betty all the way, even if the sentence was “Sono un uomo virile ben muscoloso con grandi baffi.”

I’ve just started German but am starting with a very softly, softly approach there, and not making the mistakes that (IMHO) I made with Italian. Rather than doing Fluency Fast Track (where you can be exposed to anything, anywhere in the language) I’m starting with the “Top 100 Words” collection… and clearing my reviews as they appear rather than letting them pile up to the point of drowning me. When I get to the end of that I’ll go to Top 500. Since these are built-in collections I get the random male and female voice, but again there’s no guarantee that the voice will match the sentence.

4 Likes

Ciao LuciusVorenusX, oh che ridere “sono un uomo virile…” (she said, in a gruff voice). FFT is so tempting but the Collections and Top100 Words give so much more and your mention has reminded me to use them more, regardless of BB’s schizzati (speaks like gunfire). Ciao👋

Ps. I meant to say, I too keep my reviews under control to avoid the stress of seeing them multiply. Seems to work well so far.

3 Likes

It would be useful to be able to enable/disable notes and hints. I believe this is not possible at the moment.

For example, I like to take a look at the notes/hints when playing with Text Input, but sometimes I’d rather not see them for example, when playing Multiple Choice (as it makes the answer way too easy, and essentially pointless to play this mode).

2 Likes

Agree. I don’t like to see the Notes before answering, since they may contain spoilers. Since the Notes are always visible I have stopped using them altogether. I always want to see the hints, though, since I use them to indicate gender and number, among other things. So it should be configurable.

2 Likes

That’s great! The manual master confirmation off toggle only works if you click the master button though. When using the keyboard shortcut, the confirmation popup is still there.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! This should now be fixed.

Thanks for the feedback! Hints are now toggle-able via the game settings, and notes should now only be shown after answering. Please let us know if either are not working as expected or you had something else in mind. Toggle-able hints should be included in the next mobile app release as well.

@LuciusVorenusX @Floria7 @barcarolle good point about the voice mismatched! Thanks for raising this issue. It’ll take us a bit more time, but we have a few ideas we’ll try to get better matches. Will keep you posted!

Good points! We’re aiming to get more stats added on both mobile and the web :+1:

Thanks again for all the great feedback! Anything else just let us know! :slight_smile: :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Hi! Morbrorper! when i first saw your post on the new sentences from “today” i realized my memory works similar to yours. i tried to do it this way: I stared new sentences from a 3000 batch i am currently on. when i am done with the round, say of 30, i go down the the screen to the list of just finished sentences and put every single one in favorites. in the evening, i go back to my favorites, find my 3000 batch i put in the morning . guess what? 2 or 3 out of 30 i could not spell correctly but i remembered the word! i stopped my custom files completely. it is not for me. hope it works for you. i am clearing my horrible review backlog and working my system of small steps which gives me a much needed progress. once again, thank you.

4 Likes

One thing I like to do when the round is finished, is to take a quick glance at all the sentences I’ve played, to check if I can get the meaning of each one, without looking at the translation. Of course, since the translation is right there, it makes this task a little bit difficult. Would it be possible to make these translations toggleable?

4 Likes

Hi punk. I do much the same. I do say 20, then scroll down and read through those I know I stumbled on. I put one or two in Favourites for another time but don’t let them build up. Like Barcarolle, I work on my Reviews and always try to keep them up-to-date even if it means spending a little extra time away from new work. Allora, un buon weekend a tutti !

3 Likes

Or simply randomized clozes?
To have the ability to select a mode where the cloze of any given sentence changes each time you play it… you get scored according to how often you demonstrate apprehension of the entire phrase. You could call it the “Free-fire zone” :grin:

7 Likes

This may be niche, but I would really enjoy some way to queue a set of sentences across languages. In much the same way that the infinite option works.

Something like - I set up that I want 5 sentences from 100 word usage in Chinese, 5 from 200 word usage, but then also 10 from Chinese with traditional characters, and 10 from Cantonese after this. Then I click play once, and it goes through all of these sequentially.

I have a pretty consistent routine on clozemaster, and this would be very useful for making sure no language gets missed each day - set and forget. Especially if this daily routine could be started from exactly where it was left off when interrupted.

5 Likes

This is one that has been a little on my mind of late. It’s not at all a critical issue, but a “nice to have”.

When I review my custom collections I generally only do a certain number. Say, 30 questions from “The Senses”, then 30 from “Medical Matters”, then 30 from “The World of Work”. The order isn’t important; I usually go for whichever collection has the largest number of review questions. The problem is this; if I FINISH the collection, then I get to choose which collection to move on to. If I don’t, however, my only option is to continue with the current collection. The only way to move to a new collection is to go back to the dashboard and start again.

It would be nice to always have the option of the drop-down at the end of a round, both for reviews and new sentences. (Probably with the current collection still being the default one.) It would also be nice to have the OPTION of having the collections from the other languages that you study displayed too.

This would to some extent tie in with ofthefrog’s suggestion, though it’s slightly different. (In my suggestion the order would be selected as you go along and would (in my case at least) vary by day. However I can see the use for predefined lists as well to make it less likely that you’d miss a language.)

4 Likes

hehe ofthefrog. that seems to be a common one.

Anyway, I can see this being added as a kind of cloze playlist of sorts. There could be a button at the end of each list to continue with the next thing on the playlist, or this could be broken from as desired if this day has some special attention.

This way would probably be easier to implement anyway, especially if you wanted a mix between listening and non listening, and typing vs multiple choice.

That would still be quite a few interface changes though! Not to mention the way of even adding different settings. The beta on the app with passive listening has been great, though.

3 Likes

I signed in just to say that this is an excellent idea and something that could be very useful for myself too. I see the benefit of hopping around sets and even languages, but it it would be perfect if it could be made easier.

4 Likes

One small addition that might be nice for the leaderboards is when you check someone’s profile if it showed their sign up date. Like the person I see with 5 million points, did they sign up 3 months ago? 6 months ago? 7 years ago? Would be nice for having a small way to compare my pace maybe. Thanks!

4 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Maybe your date of the first cloze. It would be cool to see a display of ‘Started [date]’ may help people see how much they’re learning.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I love Papiamentu and would be thrilled to see it. All the coolness of a Romance language and none of the pain.

On a related note, I’d like to see Interlingue (Occidental) added. We’ve contributed over 5,000 sentences to Tatoeba over the years and I imagine that should be enough, and I could do an overview of the existing sentences to correct any errors, since it’s by nature a second language for everyone and each user has a differing level of ability.

Edit: here are all the Occidental phrases on Tatoeba so far.

3 Likes

This actually brings up a good point for me - it’d be nice if the Fluency Fast Track was on a bit softer of a learning curve so that it weighted “easier” words (i.e. words from the more common groupings) to show up more often early on rather than dunk you right in with anything and everything. This would allow Fluency Fast Track to be a nice “auto-learn” mode rather than a “trial by fire” test of discipline and brute force.

5 Likes