Have you seen the "duplicate entry, no cloze" error?

I’d appreciate any users who could respond if they have seen a peculiar error in the foreign language text. Instead of the sentence appearing as it should with one word missing (an empty box indicating the cloze), the sentence appears twice with no words missing, and an empty box between those two sentences. Hence, “duplicate entry, no cloze.” It’s annoying because, to get a correct answer, the system is still looking for us to enter a cloze… but with no word missing, we can’t know which word isn’t supposed to be showing.

This has occurred for me literally hundreds of times on the Romanian board, which I report as an error (so that sentence gets skipped in future). But going over new material, I continue to see the same error in maybe 10 per cent of all sentences.

I have noticed that the error happens only when there is a word with a contraction, which in Romanian would show, for example, like " s-a". So now, in that example, I can type in “sa”, and get a correct answer… but of course i haven’t actually learned anything.

I have not seen this error in the French board or in Latin, but then again, I haven’t seen contractions in those languages. Perhaps this is why i don’t see many/any words with apostrophes in French?

I put the flag up over in the Romanian discussion board several months ago, but got no responses from other users on that rather quiet board. Plus I have continued sending in literally five hundred error reports as the messed up sentences keep appearing, but even though you would think there is a ‘software’ solution to this problem, I have seen no recognition or improvement from the Clozemaster management.

Any comments from users? Many thanks.

Thanks for the bug report and sorry for the trouble! Looks like

M-am săturat de frigiderul meu vechi.

Is one of the sentences you recently reported - and the cloze here should be M-am, is that correct? Looks like there’s in issue with the dash in the cloze and how we’re splitting the sentence.

Yes, that’s the pattern. And yes, it looks like there’s an issue with how your system picks up a word containing a hyphen. [In fact, the hyphen is used in Romanian as a contraction… it’s really two words like " I’m" is in English. ] But the cloze, the part that is missing, is always (500 times!) the hyphenated word.

Ah, I have run into this error as well, reporting the sentences.
Most recently this was in the en-korean course, which I don’t remember seeing a hyphon in.

Perhaps I’m just misremembering or perhaps there is a another cause.

1 Like

Thanks, ‘fog’. Mike is now on the case… but I suspect it will help him to know that it may also appear in other language pairings. If there are other sightings out there, my guess is that it would help too.

m

By way of a progress report on the error reported above… I am still getting this error in about 20% of all new content on the Romanian board. In other words, for 20% of the time i am spending on new material, i am writing error reports, and since the cloze isn’t properly hidden, I am learning nothing. Mike, I wonder if you could give a forecast as to when this issue will be addressed? thanks

Well, I’m not getting a response from Clozemaster management. It seems that some (but not all) hyphenated words are now fixed/working properly. It seems that clozes including the hyphenated “intr-o” work properly… and just about everything else doesn’t work right. Still.

Hello @Romanophile! Sorry for the slow reply. I’ve added a fix - please let me know if you see any more with the hyphen issue

and just about everything else doesn’t work right. Still.

as well as if there’s anything else I might’ve missed. Thanks!

Mike: Thanks for the fix today. I think you got it. I’ve done 50 or so sentences and haven’t seen the problem. R