Feature Request: Make Review Settings Settable By Collection

At the moment there is only a single review setting that applies to ALL collections.

The problem is that as you move through a language, your review needs will change. When you start out, 100 Most Common (for example) will need to be hit again, and again, and again. As the questions start to stick you will (hopefully) want to review them less frequently. And eventually, hardly ever.

The 500 Most Common will then need to be reviewed frequently, then less frequently, etc, etc.

Then it’s on to the 1000 Most Common, and so on.

Eventually there may be some collections that you don’t want to review at all and you can set anything mastered to Never.

BUT…

A “One size fits all” solution doesn’t work well. If you’re doing, say, your 500 most common collection and set your review time to 300 days, then forget to reset that before you go on to your 2000 Most Common one, the only solution is to curse a little and reset the 2000 collection and start again… or not see those questions again for another 300 days even though you haven’t REALLY mastered them.

Or the reverse, if you had set one of your tougher collection to 7 days, and forgot to reset that before going back to your 100 Most Common (which you can recite by heart)… that 100 Most Common will be back in a week.

The “One Shot” review cycle seems to be optimised for Fluency Fast Track which I regret starting in Italian, and am not going anywhere near in German.

If we retained the default cycle but were able to change the cycles of individual collections, we would be able to adjust the review cycle to match our progress in each collection.

4 Likes

Agreed! Thanks for posting. It may take us some time still, but this issue/idea is on our radar.

Why’s that (the regret and staying away I mean)?

2 Likes

That may be just a personal preference. I find it easier to learn when there is some way of relating questions to each other and building up mental connections. (Etymology can also be useful for this sometimes, but the same words (or variations of them) in different contexts are even more so.) Sometimes those are subject connections (medical matters, the language of the kitchen, transport, etcetera), sometimes it’s grammatical like verb conjugations.

Even with the “x most common” collections, there’s a relatively limited number of words in each set so you get some intense repetition.

And repetition is my tonic water; I hammer questions over and over until I could almost recite the whole set.

FFT is the opposite of that. The questions are supposed to be ranked in order of difficulty BUT while that may be so, they can come at you from any part of the language; different subjects, different conjugations, different tenses, etcetera. I find that it makes it difficult to build connections. At the moment in German I’m concentrating on the first two “most common” sets and, when I have time, building up my own subject-oriented collections.

The one thing I know for certain is that if I went down FFT in German I’d have the same experience as I did in Italian, but worse; 2 weeks later I wouldn’t remember questions because I had nothing to anchor them to in terms of related words and expressions. This would be even more of a problem in German because while my objective in Italian is total fluency (meaning that I read in, write, listen to and speak the language every day, and not just on Clozemaster), my objective in German is just to be able to communicate while visiting Switzerland, Austria or Germany and not be forced to get dinner by choosing a number 7 from the menu at Hungry Jacks in the railway station in Zurich as happened last time. That means that I need a concentrated subset of the language far more than the whole language. I know I’ll never be fluent in German because I’ve just no need of it in day to day life, whereas Italian is part of my life. Because FFT goes the other way and tries to cover a really wide range, I’d be burning time learning things that not only am I unlikely to use… but would never retain in memory in the first place.

FFT may work well for some people… but it’s not a great choice for my learning style and for me, personally, doing it in any language is a net negative.

1 Like