Feature Request: Hide English Translation

As I become more advanced, especially in German and Spanish, I find myself wanting to hide the English translations, like to be able to have a toggle that turns them on and off, and then if you are stuck you can click to see it.

I got the idea of this from Lingvist, which at least used to have this feature (they may have removed it some time back, I’m not sure if they’ve added it back or not.)

I really like it because it encourages me to think in the language.

3 Likes

At the bottom of the screen you can find the game settings and put translations to hidden mode. If that is your question. I am just curious how is it possible to know which word is exactly missing. Unless you know the sentence by heart , there are limitless choices for the missing word. In my view. For now.

3 Likes

Barcarolle is correct; in the WEB interface you have the choice of having them visible, visible after you answer them or not visible at all. Even with the latter setting, you can still show them if you need to (again using the Web interface at least) by Alt+T to toggle them on and off if you get stuck.

However that said… I don’t think the option exists in the Android app interface, or certainly I’ve never found it. I can’t speak to the Apple one but if it’s not in Android it may not be there either.

If you’re using Listening mode, you don’t need to see the translation; you can just work from the audio. The advantage is that you don’t have to shift your mind back into English at all. I do that a fair bit, but sometimes I just can’t understand what our computerised friends have said and still have to hit the Alt+T to translate. It can be a useful approach for languages which you know moderately well, less so for ones that you’re new to.

3 Likes

I was mostly using the speaking option, so turning off the translations renders it impossible to use, as well as the vocabulary option. Listening without translation is a very good idea, will try it later. Thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! This is great, I don’t know how I missed this!

1 Like

Haven’t been able to make this work. Alt-t does nothing. Chrome, Win 10.

1 Like

Capture

This is all I get when I click the Settings icon at the bottom of the screen.

1 Like

That’s the menu you get from the dashboard, it is a bit counter-intuitive, don’t worry :wink:

Start playing / reviewing sentences, then click on the Settings cog-wheel next to the “Report” button, and it will bring up a much bigger menu, with many more options to adjust, the first of which is the Translations one:

3 Likes