Dicen por ahí que a ti no hay que mirarte nada en menos tampoco.

Can someone explain what is going on in this sentence? I don’t even know how to parse this. They say around here that there’s no need to look at you at all in less either?? There’s some idiom or phrase I’m not picking out correctly here

English Translation

I hear that you yourself are quite the smooth operator.

3 Likes

Hola, I also don’t understand. Only removing “en menos tampoco” makes sense to me.
“People say that we can’t look at you anywhere” .

I hear that you yourself are quite the smooth operator. = He oído que tú mismo eres una persona hábil

There’s an old discussion of the Spanish sentence over at Tatoeba -
Dicen por ahí que a ti no hay que mirarte nada en menos tampoco. - Spanish example sentence - Tatoeba

The sentence contributor (i.e. translator) explains this as -

Mi interpretación (tal vez apoyándome de algún chilenismo)
“Dicen por ahí que a ti “no hay que mirarte nada en menos” tampoco.”

Both the Spanish and English sentences are direct translations from a Japanese original (i.e. the Spanish-English pairing isn’t direct). I don’t know any Japanese, so I have no idea whether these translations are meaningful.

2 Likes
English Translation

They say that you shouldn’t be looked down upon either.

ChatGPT says:

The sentence translates to “They say out there that nothing should also be looked at you in less either” in English, which might not make a lot of compositional sense. Better would be: “Word has it that you shouldn’t underestimate anything about you either.”