Así es como fue.

English Translation

That’s how it was.

“era” seems to work momentarily, but it changes to “fue.” Why?

1 Like

I think ‘fue’ is correct here as this meaning conveys a completed action in the past.

Perhaps some more advanced Spanish learners in here can comment further.

Conceptually, the differences between the two past tenses are fairly easy to grasp: the imperfect tense generally refers to actions that occurred numerous times and/or didn’t have a definite end, while the preterite typically refers to actions that took place or at least ended at a definite time.

Welcome to the forum, LightLife!

2 Likes

That’s not how I would understand this English sentence, though. It’s probably referring to a general state for some undefined period in the past. But it’s often not really worth worrying about these distinctions when translating sentences utterly devoid of context.

4 Likes

They have different meanings. I am not really good at explaining things but I will try.

Así es como fue = That’s how it was / That’s how it went down. (Talking about something in general )
Así es como era = That’s how she/he/it was. (Person / Animal / etc)
Así es como era = That’s how it was. (When describing anything, a door , a car, a film , living in a specific era, etc.

Basically, use así es como fue when talking about how something went down :slight_smile: and era for the rest of things.

2 Likes

About the “mysterious” behavior: there is probably an alternative answer, “era”, for the cloze.

3 Likes