Acting on Reports & Process for Updating Sentences

I’ve submitted dozens of reports in the German course but many of them have yet to be acted on. Is someone checking those reports or are they backlogged? Some of them involve mismatches between audio and written sentence, some of them involve grammatical errors, and some of them involve translations that are incorrect and/or unnatural, or at a minimum could be slightly improved to better match word meanings and/or connotations.

Also, I wanted to ask about the process for editing / changing the sentences. I have noticed a problem in the German course that a sentence will get changed but:

• The audio won’t get changed
  • The % complete won’t get updated, even if the word itself being taught gets changed.

This leads to a number of undesireable outcome. For example, in one sentence the word “Scheißkerl”, which I had mastered 100%, was changed to “Rotznase”, a word that I was unfamiliar with. Because the word was changed, it would make sense to reset the counter back to 0%, but I had to do this manually.

Also, however, the audio has not been updated on this sentence.

It seems like it would make sense to update the audio all the time, as part of the process, whenever the sentence itself were modified. This seems to be a repeat problem so it suggests that something is wrong with the process, like the audio isn’t being updated when the sentence is changed.

3 Likes

I found another one today, in the sentence for “verschont”. There was an error here and it was corrected, “werden” was corrected to “werdet” but the audio still says “werden”.

1 Like

Thanks for the post and thanks for the reports!

Is someone checking those reports or are they backlogged?

Both :slight_smile: Someone is indeed checking, but we’re still ramping up our moderation, so the fixes aren’t immediate. Perhaps we’ll try making the reported sentences / moderation stats public at some point.

It seems like it would make sense to update the audio all the time, as part of the process, whenever the sentence itself were modified. This seems to be a repeat problem so it suggests that something is wrong with the process, like the audio isn’t being updated when the sentence is changed.

Yep agreed, and that’s the way it works now. Unfortunately we had a bug for a bit where some sentences had audio in a number of voices but only one of the voices was being updated. In any case, we’ve since resolved the bug, but we’re still catching up on the affected sentences. Please continue to report any mismatches you might come across in the meantime and we’ll get them sorted.

As far as the sentence progress being reset - good point about that it might be desirable when the sentence is changed vs corrected, though we’ll need to give this some more thought.

1 Like

This makes sense, and I think I may have noticed this because I think I’ve heard some sentences that are sometimes correct but other times not.

I like that you have multiple voices, by the way. It adds variety and I think helps me to improve my pronunciation and listening comprehension!

1 Like