Ability to filter out language-specific forum posts

When it comes to looking at forum posts, one can currently only choose between “all categories” or a single category. I would like the ability to see all forum posts except language-specific forum posts, or, more broadly, the ability to filter particular categories out of the forum posts I see. Another way to achieve this would be the ability to include only particular top-level categories. For me, this would generally be “Clozemaster”, “Language Learning”, “Bug Reports”, and “Uncategorized”. Language-specific forum posts are much more numerous than any others, but they’re of less interest to me, even the ones that pertain to the languages I’m studying. I generally want to see only the posts that apply to Clozemaster as a whole.

2 Likes

You should be able to do this by “muting” categories.

These are the steps to do this: -
1 Click on your icon/avatar in the top right corner of the page to open your profile page
2 Click on :gear: Preferences along the horizontal list of options
3 Click on Categories from the sidebar options
4 Go down to the drop down list that says :no bell: Muted
5 Now scroll down and select those items that you don’t want to see in your “Latest” or Categories lists (The Categories will still be there on the Categories page, but will either be greyed out or listed under a separate Muted list). N.B. You should be able to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and select “Sentence Discussions” and have this applies to all subcategories. This feature has been available since February of this year - Mute category to mute all children categories - feature - Discourse Meta

I just tried it and some topics (i.e. Sentence Discussions) disappeared in my Latest list, but not all of them. This is to be expected. I had read a number of topics, and for each of these the status had changed to “Tracked”, and this change of status overrides the Muted status of the category.

Also, if there are particular subcategories that you then wish to track (e.g. imagine that you have muted “Sentence Discussions” but then want to see new posts for Russian and Hebrew) then you can go up to :bell: Tracking and select those subcategories so that they become visible. Note that Tracking is stronger than the default Normal, but I don’t see a Normal pull-down menu, so that is the only option unless you want to individually mute every subcategory that you aren’t interested in and possibly any future ones that are added (e.g. the new Sentence Discussions → Toki Pona).

2 Likes

Gods bless you for this one, @zzcguns. I was on the brink of making the same request as @alanf_us. It’s great that some languages have really active and enthusiastic users, but it was getting really hard to find just the topics that I had an interest in.

This solution works a treat; I wish I had noticed it before.

2 Likes

@LuciusVorenusX put it perfectly. Thank you so much for the clear and extensive instructions, @zzcguns!

2 Likes