Wir sind wegen dir hier.

“Wegen dir” is incorrect (was this sentence google translated?). “Deinetwegen” is correct as “wegen” takes the genetive case not the dative (though I understand in southern Germany dialects the dative is often used in place of the genetive (“Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod”)).

3 Likes

I’d say this, and i’m not bavarian and i’m German. Das ist wegen der Milch :wink:

4 Likes
English Translation

We’re here because of you.

icecoolpool is correct in saying that ‘deinetwegen’ is the correct grammatical form, but in modern German speech (especially spoken or colloquial speech), most natives prefer to use the dative (“wegen dir”) as the genetive case is falling out of use.

3 Likes

most natives prefer to use the dative (“wegen dir”) as the genetive case is falling out of use.

And this has been going on for quite a while (the song is from 1985):

2 Likes

I totally agree with all that was written here in the case of “wegen dir” and “deinetwegen”.

But please don’t generalize and ring the death bell for the genetive.

“Ich tat das nur wegen des Geldes” (I did it only for money) is still correct and “… wegen dem Geld” is wrong, sounds uneducated, and in written form will count as a mistake in any work (and will be corrected by automatic systems).

3 Likes