Wie viel von euch sind da?

English Translation

How many of you are there?

I think this should be “Wie viele …”

1 Like

You’re right. You can click the “Report” button to have someone fix this error.

1 Like
English Translation

How many of you are there?

After a little research…
It seems both could be right depending of the expected answer. If you expect a less specific value, like “all, most, etc.” then “viel”. If you want an exact number then “viele”.

Someone answered a while ago that “wie viel” is also correct because the Duden (German dictionary) says that both “wie viel” and “wie viele” are correct. That answer seems to have been deleted since last time I visited.

As a native German speaker, I still say that “wie viel” is wrong in this context.

The Duden is not an authorative source of truth. If enough people say wrong things, the Duden will include these things and accept them as correct (because “language is a living, ever-changing thing”). Over the past few decades, since the 90s, it’s become increasingly easy for wrong things to spread and reach a critical mass due to internet forums, SMS, TikTok, etc. The Duden is quite often wrong. Says me, a native speaker.

“wie viele” vs “wie viel” is a bit like many vs much.

You can see that “wie viel” is wrong because “sind” is used, not “ist”. Because “sind” implies the plural, you need “viele”. If “viel” were indeed correct, you’d need to use “ist” (instead of "sind) to match.

2 Likes