WIe lange bliebst du auf der Feier?

English Translation

How long did you stay at the party?

Wie is incorrectly spelled as WIe.

1 Like

In addition to that it must be said that noone would say “bliebst”. It’s dead. Forget it quickly. Unless you want to sound like Goethe or something.
You would say “Wie lange bist du auf der Feier geblieben?”

“Feier” is also more or less reserved for parties that have a certain cause, e.g. a wedding or something. So it is more like a “celebration”. You would use “Party” if people just come together to have a drink and a good time.

4 Likes

If you were at the party yourself, and left earlier than the other person, it’s also common to ask (at least in the region where I grew up):

“Wie lange warst du noch auf der Party?”

1 Like

Yes. Germans do in fact use English words without translating them, for example: cool, pullover, or party.

Don’t get me started on technical terms such as firewall or (CPU) threads, which my German professor unironically translated into German (as “Brandmauer” and “Faden”).

In this globalized world in which we live, not every single word in existence needs to be translated. Translating “party” to “Feier” when you’re just binge-drinking without a birthday, passed exam or wedding to celebrate, reminds me of my overzealous computer science professor.

1 Like