Wärst du bereit zu helfen?

This is just the subjunctive of “sein”? How formal is this? Is this the sort of thing you’d say in casual speech?

2 Likes
English Translation

Would you be willing to help?

Yes, this is Konjunktiv II, and it is used very commonly in German, both in formal and in casual speech.

1 Like

Yes, this very common. But this is because it is one of the very few verbs that are ever used in Konjunktiv II Präteritum in casual speech.
These are: hätte (haben), wäre (sein), könnte (können), würde (werden), dürfte(dürfen), müsste(müssen), sollte(sollen).
For other verbs the Konjunktiv II Präteritum would sound very formal or poetic, and casual speech avoids it by using Konjunktiv II Futur I instead:

Ich sähe dich. → Ich würde dich sehen.
Ich brächte dir Blumen. → Ich würde dir Blumen bringen.
Ich dachte, du brächtest mir Blumen. → Ich dachte, du würdest mir Blumen bringen.
Was dächtest du, wenn du an seiner Stelle wärst? → Was würdest du denken, wenn du an seiner Stelle wärst?
Ich dächte es wäre ok. → Ich würde denken es wäre ok.

There are actually a few other verbs where the Konjunktiv II Präteritum does not sound as “terrible”, and people use them occasionally:
Ich weiß nicht, was ich an seiner Stelle täte. (or: tun würde)
Du brauchst mal wieder Urlaub. Das täte dir gut. (or: würde dir gut tun)
Wo kämen wir denn da hin, wenn alle täten was sie wollen?

5 Likes

Why is it not “das würde gut so”?

Würden = would

Wären = would be

Das würde gut = that would good (incomplete sentence)

Das wäre gut = that would be good

If you really want to use “würden”, you could say “das würde gut sein” (that would be good), but my understanding is that this phrasing will sound clunky or stilted to a native speaker.

4 Likes
English Translation

I should have known!

“I could have guessed it.” According to Google Translate.
Which I think makes more sense?