Wan ist hübscher als ihre kleine Schwester.

These sentences involving names are not particularly helpful, and I’m wondering if there is any way we could get them flagged and removed. I’m pretty sure that, in German, “WAN” means “Wide Area Network” just like in English. The term may actually be used slightly more frequently too than it is in English. In English, it’s mainly IT professionals that use the term, it’s not as common in everyday speech. If this is the most common meaning, I’d rather it be taught, and not a name.

Although I’d still question why it is included in this course. It seems unlikely that the word occurs quite as frequently as some of the other words being taught around it.

Is there something I’m missing here, some other meaning of “wan” that would make it appear higher in word frequency lists?

Thoughts?

1 Like

I think it’s good real-world practice to include names in these sentences, because it helps your brain parse out the German words separately from someone’s name, which is something you actually have to do frequently in real conversations. That being said, I don’t know how common the name “Wan” is compared to, I don’t know, Alice, Bob, Charlie, Daisy, and so on.

2 Likes

“Wan” is not a German name, neither first nor family name. My first guess would be Chinese.

1 Like

I also did a double take and thought “Chinese”