W zeszłym semestrze Tom nie zdał z francuskiego.

English Translation

Tom failed French last semester.

I’ve seen on wiktionary that “passing a class, exam” is a meaning conveyed by zdać na + acc. I haven’t seen before zdać z + gen. Which one is more common? I’ve also seen just zdać being used, with no preposition being used.

Usage of prepositions depends on the word you’re combining it with, it’s not about how common it is, most of the time there’s always a correct way and an incorrect way (maybe in the unofficial speech you can say sth another way):

• just zdać: Tomek nie zdał. Tomek zdał. – not passed/passed (it’s not important what they passed)
  • without preposition: Tomek zdał maturę/egzamin. Tomek nie zdał prawa jazdy/egzaminu. – Tom passed the ACT/SAT. Tom failed the driving license test.
  • with preposition z – for classes: Tomek (nie) zdał z francuskiego/chemii/matematyki
  • with preposition na: Tomek zdał na drugi rok/doktorat/akademię – Tom passed on the second year, on the PhD; I would also say Tomek nie zdał na prawo jazdy, but I don’t know if it’s correct; but also zdać na pojeździe OSK – pass using the driving school’s vehicle

I guess na hints most of the time that you think about egzaminu na but you just omit egzaminu, nevertheless it’s correct. And it’s about the next step of your academic career most of the time.

Z is more about what subject the exam is from.

Keep in mind there are several other meanings of zdać: Zdaje mi się, że słyszę głosy. Zdałam sierżantce raport z podróży. Zdaję się na was! Przed odejściem należy zdać broń. To się już nie zdaje do spożycia

1 Like

Thank you so much for these replies, invaluable knowledge and insight here!