Vi dispiacerebbe se apro la porta?

Shouldn’t a clause introduced with “se” (if) and preceded by a verb in the conditional take a verb in the past subjunctive? Vi dispiacerebbe se aprissi la porta?

4 Likes
English Translation

Would you mind my opening the door?

I tried ReversoContext .It is ok with apro but not with chiudo. ( I am trying to be fair).

2 Likes
English Translation

Would you mind my opening the door?

Google translate will change the tense of “dispiacere” to present indicative. My recollection of the grammar is that if/then questions and statements can either be both indicative (if the outcome is something real) or conditional/subjunctive (if the outcome is something that has failed to happen). I’ve noticed that Reverso, since it just picks up translated content in bulk from outside sources, contains a lot of ungrammatical content if the original phrase was either meant to be ungrammatical or if the author’s own grammar is faulty.

5 Likes

Why is it not Ok with chiudo? As far as I know it’s okay with se apro,se chiudo, and all verbs, “Vi dispiacerebbe”(would you(pl) mind) doesn’t make any change in the conjugation of the following verbs, so there is no need to use subjunctive, (anyway you can use subjunctive.)
Vi dispiacerebbe se aprissi la porta. (GOOD)
Vi dispiacerebbe se apro la porta. (GOOD)

What I tried to say, when I looked up ReversoContext specifically for “vi dispiacerebbe se chiudo” it gave me hundreds of examples, but none with that exact wording. In addition, I do agree with hab638, that Reverso “contains a lot of ungrammatical content if the original phrase was either meant to be ungrammatical or if the author’s own grammar is faulty”. I also noticed, I always get a Reverso translation no matter how jumbled my Italian sentence would be when I try to translate. As to “apro” and “chiudo”, I am sure I would be understood, but would it be grammatically correct - I am not there yet.

1 Like

In tatoeba users with the native italian badge use dispiacerebbe with se apro and se “other verbs”, so I guess it’s completely okay to use it like this, natives can make mistakes yes, but anyway I dont think these are errors, in my native language spanish you can also use both here (not the same language but some grammatical rules are the same)

1 Like

I think using the conditional makes it more complicated (and hypothetical) than necessary. I would suggest “Vi dispiace se apro la porta?”. There are other, similar examples in the corpus.

2 Likes