Tutte le tue malattie me le hai completamente passate.

English Translation

All your diseases have completely passed me by.

I have a problem with me le hai in this sentence, it confuses me. Can someone explain the grammatical construction of this whole sentence ?

1 Like

Ciao @barcarolle. I know what you mean! As I see it, All your illnesses… me le hai (to me you have passed). Mi becomes me in front of le.

So I feel the translation is misleading and should read “All your illnesses you have passed to me”. As always though, glad of any corrections.

4 Likes

The English translation “passed by me” I understood as the person did not get the illnesses at all. I did not even think in that direction (as “to me”)! Are we talking about completely opposite translation? (In case of illnesses it is a huge difference I must say!)

1 Like

Yes, I agree. Surely if we were referring to “le malattie” it would be “hanno”, not “hai”.

3 Likes

Also agreed with all that the sentence actually seems to mean the opposite.

The Italian sentence seems to be the original sentence.

When adding the English translation, I think someone might indeed have been confused between “pass me by” (“phew, I didn’t get any of your diseases, because they went right past me, without me getting any of them”) and “pass to me” (“you got sick, you passed your diseases to me, and so I got them too, thanks”).

The Italian source sentence is exactly like @Floria7 and @David755502 have explained:
Me [to me] le [them; female plural = le malattie] hai [you, 2nd person singular] passate [ending to match the fact that the diseases were what was being passed to me by you].

In fact, I’d expect something more along the lines of “Tutte le tue malattie mi sono completamente passate” (apologies for any likely grammatical errors) for the provided English translation.

2 Likes

We certainly live and learn from these discussions. The more the merrier.

4 Likes