彼は満足だとはっきり言った。

English Translation

He professed himself satisfied.

The translation for this kind of confuses me. In english the translation for the latter half is written as “professed himself” when the direct translation is “said clearly”. When doing vocab drills it seems strange that they would use the word “profess” instead of “clearly”.

@Telchar
The sentence source says that the pair was imported from notorious Tanaka Corpus. If you are not familiar with Tanaka Corpus, read the warning note. Tanaka Corpus gives us many unnatural or obsolete expressions.

As a native Japanese speaker, I checked ~1,000 sentence pairs in the Most Common Words Collections randomly. Sorry to disappoint you, but 26.1% of the samples contain “critical” errors, and if you include “minor” ones, the error rate is 39.5%. The errors are largely attributed to Tanaka Corpus. For more information, read my comment on the stats here.

By the way, the Japanese sentence also sounds unnatural a little though it is understandable.

満足していると彼は公言した。(pron. 公言 = こうげん) or
彼は満足していると明言した。(pron. 明言 = めいげん)

sound more natural. We don’t say 満足 or 満足です but 満足している when we talk about the current status of own satisfactory.

1 Like