つけでお願いします。

English Translation

I want to put this on house charge.

Can someone explain what this sentence means?

1 Like

@TisYanni
つけ払い (noun) and つけ払いする (verb) are frequent compound words, meaning “to make a deferred payment”. つけ is just a shortened form of つけ払い.

つけ払い is sometimes interchangeable with 後払い (pron. あとばらい; meaning “payment after delivery”). But つけ払い usually refers to “deferred for a certain (longer) period”.

For example, a bar owner sometimes accepts つけ払い only from frequent loyal customers. The bar doesn’t ask such loyal customers to pay out each time. Rather, the bar collects the cumulative outstanding receivables from them on a monthly basis, for example.

つけ is derived from 書き付け (jotting it down in account ledgers). つけ払い is not a common financial practice these days partially due to the wide spread of payment by credit card.

I, as a native Japanese speaker, don’t know “put this on house charge” in English is the right translation for つけ払い. Two contributors to the source Tatoeba implied here that “put this on house charge” is not a common expression. One of them posted an alternative translation in English:

ID: 534218 – Put this on my tab, please.

2 Likes