この手の冗談にはもういい加減、うんざりだ。

English Translation

Enough with this sort of joke already! It’s tedious.

The TTS as well as Google Translate put tne wrong accent on もういい加減. Try the following sentence on GT.

この手の冗談にはもう、いい加減うんざりだ。(insert 読点 (、) between もう and いい加減 instead of いい加減 and うんざり)

The altered sentence sounds very natural.

The original word split sounds like “this sort of joke is exactly as appropriate as I expected”. In other words, the wrong accent suggests that the speaker is totally happy with the joke.

いい加減 has three different meanings:

1. “be in the right range” or “not too much and too less” – 加減 literally means “to add” and “to deduct”. You don’t need to add or deduct salt in/from a soup because the taste is already nice. That’s the original meaning. You need to put the accent on いい (好い) when you use it in this positive context.
  2. “incomplete job” - the first meaning, “not too much/less”, also can result in incompleteness or “a below-my-expectation situation”. You cannot put the accent on いい (好い) because the second usage has no favorable connotation.
  3. “cannot tolerate the irresponsible/unfavorable situation anymore” – the third usage is applied to いい加減うんざりだ in the lesson sentence. The full sentence version is いい加減にしてくれ。うんざりだ。(Don’t do it anymore. I’m fed up with it.) The person who made a bad joke went far beyond the speaker’s tolerance. “That’s too much, so dial it down” is the meaning of いい加減にしてくれ. Don’t put the accent on いい (好い) for the third usage.

You can find many example sentences on 英辞郎.

1 Like