賞が取れるといいですね。

English Translation

I hope you will succeed in winning the prize.

My Initial translation was “I hope to win the prize”.

I think it could be both, in the end, It is phrased as a consideration…

As in the end neither I or you are in the picture in the Japanese sentence:

“It would be nice for the prize ti be taken”.

So it is more like “Winning the price would be good, wouldn’t it?”

@mike-lima
The original Japanese-English pair is correct and sounds natural. The phrase 〜といいですね cannot be interpreted as “I hope to win”. The message is given to the listener, not to speak to the speaker him/herself.

I guess you got confused with 〜といい or 〜といいなぁ, which are given to the speaker him/herself, indirectly to the listener or to a third person.

I give you similar example sentences with the same phrases. Add them to your personal collections if you like.

A: 早く病気が治るといいですね。(はやくびょうきがなおると) = Get well soon!

B: 早く病気が治るといいなぁ。= I wish I can recover from this illness as soon as possible. OR I wish someone (not physically here) will get well soon.

Suppose that you are a big fan of Canadian singer Justin Bieber, who was recently diagnosed with Ramsay Hunt syndrome. He disclosed it to the public via social media.

If you leave a reply to Justin’s Twitter post, Sentence A is the right one because it’s directly addressed to him. If you just tweet in a monologue tone to wish his quick recovery, Sentence B is the right one.

Let me know if you need more explanations or example sentences.

Thank you, I actually thought 〜いいなぁ and いいですね were different only in politeness level. It’s good to know they suggest a different “target” for the wish.

What about “I hope WE will win the prize”, though?

@mike-lima
I hope WE will win the prize.
I hope I will win the prize.
I hope HE/SHE will win the prize.
I hope THE TEAM (of my friend/family member/favorite figure etc.) will win the prize.
→ All are 賞がとれるといいなぁ。, which is NOT addressed to the listener. Rather it’s a monologue.

うちのチームが賞をとれるといいなぁ (or 私たちのチーム) would be also okay, but it’s a bit redundant.

1 Like