私の娘のケイトは歌のコンテストで賞を取りました。私は彼女を誇りに思います。

English Translation

My daughter, Kate, won a singing competition and I’m proud of her.

It may be illogical but we don’t say 歌のコンペティション. We have both コンテスト (contest) and コンペティション (competition) or コンペ in short as loan words from English. But we use them a bit different way of collocation from the original English.
Other examples in the same pattern are:

• 美人コンテスト = beauty pageant
  • 書道コンテスト = competition of calligraphy
  • 小説コンテスト = competition of novel writing

There is no concrete dichotomy, but I think コンテスト is frequently used when judges assess the aesthetic aspects of each applicant or work. The applicants or their words do not directly compete with each other. If you replace コンテスト with コンペティション in those example phrases, it sounds more feisty like a one-by-one survival game.

By the way, 私は彼女を誇りに思います is a proper translation, but we seldom say this way in a full sentence. Rather, we usually say:

光栄なことに、私の娘のケイトは歌のコンテストで入賞しました。(こうえいなことに; にゅうしょうしました)

私は彼女を誇りに思います sounds so straightforward and “me-her-centric” that it sounds uneducated a bit in English. Even if Kate worked very hard to win the competition, her parent usually don’t trumpet the achievement by attributing to her hard work. Rather, “thank God” or “thanks to full support from others” is the mindset to show our humbleness. Therefore, “it’s an honor” (光栄なことに) sounds better because it makes vague to whom the achievement should be attributed.

賞を取りました is okay, but 入賞しました is better. If a certain award is preceded such as a gold medal or the second place, replace 入賞する with ~を受賞する(じゅしょうする).

1 Like