彼は私の忠告を相手にしない。

English Translation

He won’t take my advice.

忠告 + 相手にしない is a very unnatural collocation. Also, the tense “won’t” is mistranslated. My alternative translations are:

彼は私の忠告に耳を貸さないだろう。(かれはわたしのちゅうこくにみみをかさないだろう)

彼は私の忠告を無視するだろう。(かれはわたしのちゅうこくをむしするだろう)

耳を貸す is a frequent idiom, meaning “to listen to someone carefully” or “to try to understand someone’s situation by listening”.
忠告 + 無視する is also a frequent collocation. 無視する means “to ignore”.

相手にしない also means “to ignore”. But the connotation of 相手にしない is “not to compete with X” or “not to fight back to X”. 相手 is “opponent” or “counterparty”.
忠告 (someone’s advice) is not a subject of competition but acceptance.

Maybe

彼は私の批判など相手にしないだろう。= He won’t care about my criticism.

would work better because you sometimes need to fight against irrational criticisms. But I still prefer

彼は私の批判など物ともしないだろう

over 批判 + 相手にする/しない.

2 Likes

Here, “he won’t” simply means “he doesn’t” or “he is not willing to”.
It is technically the future tense, but it is not used like that in this sentence.
(English is a mess.)

So I think that だろう is not necessary, and しない is fine.

しない in this sentence means “He is not taking my advice (although I’m giving him many times)”. It doesn’t match.

This is exactly what “He won’t take my advice.” conveys.

Sorry but I don’t think so. And I won’t reply to you anymore.

So you would tell a native speaker to their face that you don’t believe them when they tell you how their language works?
That is simply unbelievable and presumptuous.
You don’t even know whether I’m a native speaker of English or not!

Now let me confess that, although I’ve had English in my life almost every day for 40 years or something, and I have seen one or the other English idiom, I am not a native speaker.

So let me back my argument up with a reference (and this is just a quick google search, which means you could have easily found this yourself to check whether I am making this up or not):

May I draw your attention to this discussion:
I've tried to give her advice, but she won't or wouldn't Listen. | WordReference Forums

And may I quote some relevant sentences for you:
“Yes, it implies multiple attempts at giving her advice…”
“‘Won’t’ is present, not future. It means ‘she is unwilling to’, or ‘refuses to’.”

Which is what I have been trying to explain to you.

I am not at all surprised anymore by how our other encounters have evolved. Obviously you need to brush up on your English skills, because you don’t seem to understand when I try to explain something. Which leads to even longer and explicit explanations every time I respond.

At least now I know that it is a futile attempt, and I can save my energy. Thank you.

You can keep spamming the forums with nitpicky posts, and I will happily ignore them.

Have a nice day.