הוא עלה על מוקש והג'יפ שלו התפוצץ.

English Translation

He drove onto the mine and his jeep exploded.

The cloze “word” is “והג”, which is actually not a word. The full word is והג’יפ (“and the jeep”). The character that looks like an apostrophe (and which many people type as an apostrophe) is actually a “geresh”, whose purpose is to indicate that the preceding letter (“ג” in this case) is to be pronounced not as “g”, but as English “j”. Clozemaster should not split a word at the location of an unpaired apostrophe following a letter.

Wanted to get @mike’s asttention, as this sounds like a programming issue, as opposed to a problem with the translations.

Hebrew uses these non-apostrophes for many loanwords from English or - “chips”, “giraffe”, and others. I don’t know whether Hebrew Tatoeba is using apostrophes as quotation marks, so it’s possible you could get confused in the rare case that a transliterated j/ch is at the end of a word. However, I think it would be safe to assume that any apostroph INSIDE a word is one of these special "geresh"es, and not an apostrophe. Hebrew uses other tools for possessives, etc. (At the end of the word, the question would be whether to include that apostrophe in the word or not, but at least you wouldn’t be splitting a word.)

@alanf_us would you agree with this assessment?

1 Like

Yes. Well put.

In case anyone is interested, Tatoeba sentence #579528 is an example where an apostrophe occurs at the end of a word:

יש מספיק א’, אבל ב’ לא מספיק.

There are enough "alef"s, but not enough "bet"s.

In English, this would be similar to:
There are enough A’s, but not enough B’s.

“Alef” is equivalent to the letter “A” and “bet” is equivalent to the letter “B”.

But this doesn’t conflict with anything @amirkarger wrote.