電車に傘を忘れるところだった。

English Translation

I almost left my umbrella in the train.

Could this also mean “I just left my umbrella on the train”?

@ericaw
No. “I actually did NOT leave my umbrella” is the only consequence you can interpret from this sentence. It was averted at the last minute.

~ところだった originally means “be about to do something”. ところ = 所 = the place, so ~ところだった is closer to “be on the VERGE of the risk etc” if you prefer a word-for-word translation. Another example is:

これからが面白いところだったのに、電話がかかってきた。= I got a phone call when it (e.g. a movie) was just getting good.

This sentence suggests that the speaker missed the climax of the movie because of the interruption.

1 Like

Thank you so much MsFixer! Your examples are super helpful. I suppose then, the only way to say “I just left my umbrella on the train” is to use past tense for 忘れる, so 「列車で傘を忘れたところだ(った)」?

@ericaw
列車「で」is grammatically incorrect. It should be 列車/電車「に」. If you use で in this sentence, it implies that “I forgot the general concept/definition of an umbrella when I was on the train” (e.g. I had a head injury there and lost my memory). You always need to use 「に」忘れる in the context of lost and found.

And 列車 sounds very old-fashioned with a sort of nostalgia. 電車 is the right fit.

If I were you, I would translate “I (have) just left my umbrella on the train” as 傘を電車に置き忘れてきてしまった。 Your word-for-word translation from “(have) just done” to ~ところだ, in this particular sentence, sounds like an unnatural machine translation. Leaving an umbrella is an unexpected mistake. Meanwhile ~ところだ has a subtle nuance of “achievement”. It doesn’t fit. My translation “~きてしまった” implies that the doer now regrets what they just did.

1 Like