Ti interessano i fiori?

English Translation

Are you interested in flowers?

Should it be interèssano , not interessàno ?

1 Like

To my ear, Carla appears to be stressing the word in the right place but then mumbles and merges the ending and the “i”, so that it almost sounds like “Ti interessa-noi-fiori?”.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t discover whether there’s a version from Giorgio, and if so, what that voice might sound like with this sentence.

2 Likes

I hear Carla correctly here. Just my two cents worth;-)

2 Likes

My ear is not great musically, but try comparing ti interessano i fiori 1. in the search to 2. when you put it into collections. The first sounds interessàno and the second (all of them) sound interèssano. I do not insist, that is why my original post is with the question mark. I will gladly accept that the bear is sitting on my ear, or whatever the saying goes.

I don’t know where this comes from, but I love this mental image! I’d like to learn more about it :slight_smile:

Business first ! :grinning: Can you hear the difference? Interèssano or interessàno in collections? Meanwhile I will try to find that bear reference for you. I did not mean to put you the a spot with the “interressano” word pronunciation and owe you the “bear sitting on the ear” explanation when I find it, but found this book “Is that a fish in your ear?” Probabilmente all the answers are there!

1 Like

I had already searched for “interessano”, but I wasn’t really sure what I was hearing, it didn’t sound too strange to me. I’ve still been too lazy to add it to a collection though to check the difference between them :sweat_smile: Perhaps I should make a collection specifically for these kinds of testing purposes…

3 Likes

I’m clearly hearing “interèssano” i fiori. I think it just gets confusing when words are run closely together at Italian speed!

Auguri.

2 Likes

Sindaco, I found it! The correct saying is “a bear stepped on his ear”, which means the person has no musical talent. It is a Russian saying. It is the first article in google when you put this phrase in search. 6th paragraph. Mystery solved!

1 Like

Thank you! I found it too now :grin:

They might also step on you if you are napping in a field or forest. Or at least that’s the image behind the expression медведь ему на ухо наступил (literally “a bear stepped on his ear”), which actually means: the person has no musical talent: Поэту Блоку, как выяснилось, медведь с детства на ухо наступил (It turned out that the poet Blok had a tin ear from childhood.)

I already don’t really have any musical talent to speak of, but it seems prudent anyway to be careful when napping in fields (linking back to “i fiori:wink:) or forests frequented by bears! So thanks for solving the mystery!

The rest of the article is nice to read too :slight_smile:

1 Like