Text or Multiple Choice?

Generally I mix it up but lately I’ve been relying on Multiple Choice in a kind of rush to reach target. So for a change I’ve popped back to Text which is more testing. Not only is the extra challenge good for me but it is a good indicator of how much I’ve progressed while Multiple Choicing without realising it. So it seems a mix of the two is pretty beneficial. I wonder if anyone else has found this?

Ciao… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I only use multiple choice for my first run through in most of the languages I’m studying, but that’s because I use CM to practice using words I’ve already studied on Quizlet. Generally I prefer text, because it requires active production instead of passive recognition. What I usually do is add sentences to different custom Cloze Collections (idioms, specific tenses, confusing prepositions, new nouns/verbs, verbs of motion, etc.) as I come across them on my multiple choice run in the FFT and the frequency sets. Whatever gets saved also gets starred, so I know I’ve already dealt with it. Then I’ll study them to mastery in the Cloze Collection as text input. I don’t even bother with reviews for most of what didn’t get sorted into a Cloze Collection, because it usually means that I could have translated the entire sentence already. Anything unexpected gets sorted. I’ve also adjusted the wait period on reviews, so that I can drill all of them more frequently.

3 Likes

I default to text.

If I don’t know the word after receiving a hint, I’ll use the multiple choice. I decided to do this pretty quickly after starting clozemaster, since the beginning sentences were way too easy for me, up until I had completed up to 2000 sentences or so. I completed all 7 memrise courses, and completed my B2 exam on busuu previously, so I’m well versed with nearly all the basic grammar. For the amount of time I’ve spent, I should be fluent as hell by now, but I’m still learning words. It’s hard to learn when you don’t have access to an honest native speaker. Most people I know who say they can speak Italian, are either lying to themselves, or do not have enough patience to act like a teacher for more than a few minutes at a time.

If I require multiple choice to solve to question; mentally, it is the same to me as getting the question wrong.

My philosophy is that the harder you make this game for yourself, the more memorization benefits you’ll reap.

That’s why in my own cloze collections, I put the entire sentence in the cloze. So, instead of memorizing the meaning of one word within the sentence, I will memorize an entire sentence, spelling, and word order. In these examples, if I can’t get it, I won’t use multiple choice. I’ll mark it wrong.

I’d recommend completing an entire course on grammar before even starting CM, and then trying to only do fill in the blank. Others may disagree. Understanding grammar deeply has helped me improve my reading, listening, and speaking. CM is for more intensive memorization; and it won’t even benefit you if you’re not actively looking things up that you don’t understand.

2 Likes

Hi @Vito. Come va? I too completed the Memrise and Busuu courses and agree that this is a good route to take before starting Clozemaster.

I heartily agree with you re Text and Mutiple choice. If I’m all grammared-out I spend time on MC but find the tougher Text way better - the joy I get out of getting the right word, against all odds, is so rewarding.

Buon anno nuovo for when it comes;-)

4 Likes

This is the ultimate challenge, just as long as one remembers that there are often more than one way to translate a sentence. For that purpose I would recommend starting with text input, and switching to multiple choice once you have decided on a suitable answer. You will then have to use your judgement as to whether you were correct or not.

4 Likes

I actually somehow didn’t know about the text (or listening) options for the first year and a half of using Clozemaster. I just used the default of multiple choice.

Now that I’ve discovered them, I’m doing all my reviews using listening and text input, as well as the Random Collection that I somehow only saw a few weeks ago.

As such, I probably mastered about 90% of my course using the multiple choice default. Which is fine, but rather passive knowledge, and the listening/text input is helping me take it from passive to active, and improving my listening.

My mistake, but, hey, it’s actually working for me. I built up a good reserve of passive knowledge as a foundation I guess!

But yeah, if I’m in a rush I let the gamification take precedence to maintain my target streak and use multiple choice… It’s quicker lol

6 Likes

I have tried to get mastery of Romanian using only text and without help (green text / letters missing). It’s been a rough ride at 20 words per day but currently 45 words away from completion (I did put repetition after 100 pct from half a year to 100 years though - otherwise would never finish…. I also added synonyms in the hints to help clarify which word to pick.

For Norwegian did the same thing but with multiple correct spellings that does somewhat complicate it… down to about 250 words remaining with the same conditions

For Spanish the accents were driving me nuts. So added back the “making green”. I’m sticking to reviews and only adding new words when I don’t reach my modest 200p target - I’ll be at it for a while as there is way more words in Spanish fluency…

5 Likes

I only use Text Input Vocabulary, as I find it the only method beneficial for me. I enjoy both learning languages in context and guessing missing elements in sentences.

2 Likes

Hi @Sufi7 Welcome! It’s interesting how we all get the best out of Cloze. I still mix-and-max depending on how much time I have, and energy, and it still amazes me how much variation Cloze gives us.

My Italian Clitics have improved greatly by being here, and that really says something!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend;-)

4 Likes

I like using the text input, and fall back on to multiple choice, if I get stuck.

Whilst reading this thread I realised there’s a listening component and I have now found that yesterday and I am using that now.

I just created my two first sentence lists and I can see a great potential in creating and using those.

1 Like

I’ve tried all (most) variations playing the rounds. Transcribe, text input, multiple choice: vocabulary, listening.

All strategies work fine and as Floria7 posted, Clozemaster offers a wide variety of variation.

Right now, I’m mostly using Multiple Choice / Listening mode. (I need to work on my listening skills)

1 Like

Yes indeedy, practicing Listening is my daily go-to. Of note, nobody says “Pass the ketchup” quite like “Giorgio” :wink:

1 Like