Still finding new things to do on ClozeM

Changing my comfortable routine, I tried Transcribe (Hard). Mamma mia, it definitely is but I greatly enjoyed the new challenge. Might I just say though, it’s well worth triple points! :wink:

4 Likes

Haha, I also loved it! :heart:

1 Like

In Transcribe mode, a couple of times now I’ve entered the correct answer (and double-triple-checked it) but my sentence turns red and there’s no way round it but to click Enter. I’m not too worried just intrigued;-)

Edit: Ah, it could be that we need to put a full stop as shown in the Q. This seems a bit petty tho, if I may say so but if I have to I will :wink:

That’s my one big gripe about transcribe, it’s annoying when you get sentence with lots of interspersed “structure” characters. For example, a sentence containing two quotes mimicking a conversation: e.g. “Hey how you doing?”, “Not bad”. Here, you have to make sure to add both the outer quotation marks but also that big chunk of ?", " in the middle (including the space!) which seems mildly questionable for learning value.

What’s this about triple points, though? Mine still only grants 2x (not that I mind much)

2 Likes

You’re so right. I was only hinting that triple points would certainly be appreciated in view of the extra work needed. Me too, I get x 2 like you, but I don’t really mind too much;-)

2 Likes

Ciao a tutti. From time to time I am looking for different ways to use the CM. It gives me a renewed motivation for some periods of time. I did try the Cloze-collections before and I did not like the approach probably because it did look like a very predictable play to me. My mind goes lazy and bored to death by a known setup for any particular collection because I know the answers already (it is in a setup!) . I guess my question is: how to make the Cloze collections interesting and motivating. Challenging even. How are you motivated to play collections when the randomness is gone? I am definitely missing something here.

Hi. I switch from Listening to Vocab to Transcribe, I mostly ignore my reviews (naughty eh!), I choose my task for the day, I Listen to authentic voices, then I might relent and do some reviews, then I go to Activity and upvote, then Discuss, then back to learning. Repetition is learning, and tbh I never get bored with ClozeM. Hope you find your way round it. In bocca al lupo.

Ps. Incidentally I used your method of using the Favourites feature and Review intervals. Suits me well, so mille grazie.

1 Like

You are most welcome! I like it too and would never go back to my previous settings because I feel the most in control of my studies. The cloze-collections I asked about is an exploratory question because I have a feeling it should be a useful feature and I am just using it wrong.

1 Like

Could you please be more specific as to which collections you are referring to?

1 Like

We have them down the screen after the Most Common Words. I just looked again at the choices given to create my own collections like: manual entry, search, paste in text, paste in words, etc. In some way it is a duplication of what I am already doing by saving them to favorites and playing them how many times I want or whenever I want .They are organized there for me by the most common category. The difference is when creating new collections I already know what I am putting there. Looks like too much work, element of surprise is gone. CM has a giant collection for me to go through already with that wonderful unpredictable randomness. Thank you for making me look at it again because I just found the abandoned Grammar Challenges. Will be there for some time…

OK, I call them custom collections. For each of my language pairings, I maintain a custom collection that I build up as I go, whenever I find a word or sentence fragment in a cloze that is not the cloze word. I also use it to store the article and noun together, to make things more challenging. Additionally, I add sentences from online sources or from my grammar book.

In the Spanish from English language pairing, my main custom collection is now at 5500-plus entries, accumulated over three years. That makes it challenging enough for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Barcarolle and Floria, what review intervals are you using?

Hi. As you can see on your review forecast, the chart goes for one month only. So, to always keep your reviews in your view , you have to make the intervals no longer than a month. Mine are: 0% mastered -1 day, 25% mastered- 1 day, 50% -10 days, 75% - 20 days. 100% -never. This way I never deal with the overwhelming amounts of reviews. It freed my time for the daily new sentences and that is what I wanted. Sentences that are still resisting me are promptly sent to “favorites”. I can pull them from there when I want, they do not clog my review. And ,of course, from time to time I do clean the favorites too and it is never more than 30-40. That’s it.

1 Like

Hi @RobotPlausibile. Pure io, I use the same 0%-0 or 1, 25%-1, 50%-10, 75%-20 and 100%-Never. I work on the app where I can clearly see all the Collections and organise as I wish, the Favourites option is great, and I flip over to Web version for Discussion etc. Never a dull moment with Cloze;-)

1 Like

Grazie barcarolle e Floria! I do think I saw these suggestions in an earlier post, back when I was still familiarizing myself with ClozeM and figuring out what works for me. I think I’ll try these durations as well - I’d been a little nervous about getting swamped with reviews once clozes start hitting the 180-day mark!

I’ve already been using the Favorites pretty liberally when I encounter words I’m unfamiliar with, and I don’t hesitate to reset to 0% if I’m still grasping for hints the third or fourth time I see a cloze. All in all I really like how customizable the app is to what works for us individually.

1 Like

By the way, listening to ppl here, I decided not to worry so much about my Reviews which are now 5000+. I do a few every day but only after I’ve worked on other areas. It was quite a relief to stop worrying about them. (I’ve probably said this already;-)

1 Like

As I mentioned here, using intervals that are multiples of each other (or at least have factors in common) could make your reviews cluster on certain days. I use settings of 1, 4, 11, 23, and 365 in order to avoid this.

1 Like

For now at least, I’m generally doing 80% reviews and 20% new sentences each day to try to keep the review counts low. I’m guessing there will come a point where I stop caring about that, based on many comments from others that I’ve read here :blush:

1 Like

Most of all, enjoy your learning, your progress and the people here. Cheers…!

2 Likes