Spogliati e sdraiati sul letto!

The audio manages to get the stress wrong on both imperatives, which I believe should lie on the first syllable of each, not on the second, as if they were participles.

1 Like

Ciao @morbrorper “How to pronounce in Italian” gives me spogliàti and sdraiàti.

Un punto interessante.

A dopo…

Hi @Floria7,

That’s interesting, but it doesn’t sound right (no pun intended). Is “How to pronounce in Italian” a book, or a website, or an app, or something else?

I can think of many common expressions that I’m familiar with, of using a second person singular imperative reflexive where the stress remains on the root word. For example, presentati (introduce yourself), divertiti! (enjoy yourself!), alzati! (get up!), preparati! (brace yourself!).

Also, if instead of spogliati! it was spogliami! (undress me - oooh, saucy!!!), then I would expect the stress to be on the “o”, and something like Google translate’s text-to-speech gets this correct.

I suspect that this could be a confusion that text-to-speech systems have due to the equivalent spelling of the participles as mentioned by @morbrorper.

For example, if I ask Google translate’s text-to-speech to pronounce ascoltami! (listen to me!) then it says it correctly with the stress on the “o”, but if I change that to ascoltati! (listen to yourself!) then it moves the stress to the “a”.

This probably needs a native speaker to give us the benefit of their wisdom. Perhaps you know of one who might be able to help :grin:.

3 Likes

G’day @zzcguns, come stai! I Google “How to say in Italian” and up pop options. I spoke the whole sentence and it gave me as posted.

Totally agree with your “o” examples and yes it changes to “a” with ascoltati. Piero is the madrelingua in our Italian club so I’ll pop a question to him. The more we ask, the more, we learn eh!

A dopo…

Ps. With the saucy spogliami, yes indeedy, spogliàmi;-)

G’day indeed @Floria7, grazie mille per il benvenuto australiano (che è molto gentile), e per avermi dato del “tu”. È un piacere conoscerti (virtualmente).

Thanks for contacting your madrelingua, lo apprezzo molto.

I’ll be very interested to see if the human being agrees with the computer text-to-speech algorithm.

@zzcguns Ciao di nuovo. Piero la madrelingua spiega…

Spògliati is imperative, like sdràiati. Spogliàti is past participle, like sdraiàti.

Così, vado con la madrelingua. E bravo bravo @morbrorper! Rispetto!

(Stasera, forza⚽ gli Azzurri contro Belgio!)

2 Likes